12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 10:03 AM by philmodjunk

exporting image or file from a record

cl

Title

exporting image or file from a record

I have an existing Filemaker 12 database. My users are all internal users. We are connected with Filemaker server. We are a printing company that has a record for each piece of artwork that we print. I am trying to add a layout that contains several "logos" with a check mark. The user then can check the logo that they would like used on their artwork that corresponds with the record they are on. 

What I am having trouble with is, I would also like the user to be able to click on the "logo" and be directed to the "eps file" of that artwork so that everyone is using the "approved master" of that art. OR if they can click on the "logo" and download the "eps file". Then they can email this "eps file" to customers to include in their artwork when they are designing it. 

I have the layout made with the artwork and check marks. Can someone help instruct me on how to get the user to the artwork file?

• 1. Re: exporting image or file from a record
          philmodjunk

Export field Contents can export the contents of a container field and can open it with the default application for an eps file. This can be done manually or via script. The file thus produced can be attached to an email and emailed.

Is that what you had in mind?

• 2. Re: exporting image or file from a record
            cl

Yes, but since I am creating the container field AND placing my artwork in it in the layout mode, there isn't any artwork being inserted by the user to export from the container. I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly. I can only get export contents to be visible when I enter artwork in the container as the user - individually for each record. I want to export the "master artwork" from the layout. Kind of like letting someone export the artwork of an icon you are using on every page. I hope I am explaining this correctly?

• 3. Re: exporting image or file from a record
              philmodjunk

If the artwork is inserted into a container field, it can be exported via export field contents. What you describe does not sound like you are inserting it into any container field but are probably placing it as a graphic object directly on the layout. That approach will not work for what you want to do.

You can make the same image available through two different methods:

1.           Use a container field with global storage enabled. Since this is hosted over a network, you'll need to either insert the image into the container field before you put the file up on the server or use a start up script that uses set field to copy the image into the container field from a non global field each time a user opens the file.
              3.           Put the container field in a different table. Link that table to your layout's table in a relationship that uses the X operator instead of the default =. The cartesian join (X) operator matches any record in one table to all records in the other so this related record is then accessible to every record in your original table.
              • 4. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                cl

I am placing the art in a container in the layout.

• 5. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                  philmodjunk

Then export field contents can export it. Just click in the field and select that option from the Edit menu. It can also be scripted.

• 6. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                    cl

I'm sorry I'm just not getting it. When I select the Container in browse mode I don't have the option to export field contents.

• 7. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                      philmodjunk

Are you using a custom menu on this layout or do you have it open with an account that does not use a Full Access privilege set?

The image shows what I get when a right click a container field.

• 8. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                        cl

I am working on it and logged in as a user with admin access with full access privileges. I am also right clicking in the container field in browse mode to get this window but the export field contents is grayed out.

• 9. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                          philmodjunk

What's interesting is that all options that would permit exporting the data, cut, copy and export field contents are greyed out--not just the export field contents option. That might be consistent with a privilege set that does not permit exporting data from the field.

I thought of denying browse mode access, but that drops all the editing options right out of the right click menu instead of just greying out some of them. But I'm also using windows so that might be the difference here--but I doubt it.

On a hunch, I went back to my test file and converted it over to external storage, but still can export data from the container field.

Is this a file currently hosted from another computer?

If so, let's try putting a copy on your computer and see if that makes any difference.

Also, if you go into layout mode and try dragging the field around, does the graphic move with it? (make sure that ungroup in the arrange menu is greyed out also.)

• 10. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                            philmodjunk

Just tried one more test. I can get exactly the same right click menu if the container field is empty. If you were inserting the image while in layout mode, that would explain what we see here. The inserted image would then be a graphic object located on top of the field instead of inserted into the field. Try using insert picture while in browse mode to insert the graphic, then right click and see what you get.

• 11. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                              cl

Yes, as stated earlier, I am creating the container field AND placing my artwork in it in the layout mode, I then want to export the graphic element while in browse mode. I think I have to make a button or something to do this.

• 12. Re: exporting image or file from a record
                                philmodjunk

But you cannot insert files into container fields while in layout mode. You can only place them on the layout as a graphic object. You do not have an image in a container field to export.

Enter layout mode. Click the layout object. Delete it. Return to browse mode, click in the container field and select an insert option to insert the picture. Now you have something that you can export.