5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 2:09 AM by rogerwilco

Exporting or copying from web to excel

MVED

Title

Exporting or copying from web to excel

Hi folks,

I have a nice database up and running with instant web publishing.  I noticed that the script for exporting to excel doesn't work when accessed from the web.  Is there any way to copy or export data when I view my records in table view?  The data is all there but even when I try to use excel to "export external data from web" all the data comes in as a single column instead of preserving the separate columns.  Has anyone found a workaround so I can manipulate the data in an excel file?

Many thanks

A

• 1. Re: Exporting or copying from web to excel
          MVED

I take it from the silence that either the question is glaringly obvious or that is just impossible to acccomplish.  Regardless could someone please respond to help me figure out this problem?  Is there anyway to copy/paste or export records from a table or list layout to excel without it all being all put in one long vertical column?  Does filemaker server have this capability and would I need to shell out some cash to upgrade from filemaker pro? 

Please help,

Thank you thank you

A

• 2. Re: Exporting or copying from web to excel
            TSGal

MVED:

Thank you for your post.

With Instant Web Publishing enabled, FileMaker cannot save/export to an Excel file.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue, but no additional information is available.

Since you are trying to bring the data into Excel, use the SYLK format.  Symbolic Link (SYLK) is a Microsoft file format used to exchange data between spreadsheets.  SYLK files usually have a .slk suffix (if on Windows).

If you need additional information or clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Exporting or copying from web to excel
              MVED

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post about exporting/copying from online to excel.  I have tried to research SYLK as you suggested but I'm not clear on how this might work.  Would sylk somehow allow my database users to access the published database from online to bring into excel?  Or would I do something with SYLK on the computer that hosts the database that might offer some solution once accessed online?  I would greatly greatly appreciate any details you could provide as Im completely unfamiliar with how SYLK works and how this might help solve this issue.

If this turns out to not offer what we require for accessing our database online, would exporting/copying be possible with an upgrade or other filemaker product... would filemaker server have this capability?

Thank you!

Artie

• 4. Re: Exporting or copying from web to excel
                TSGal

MVED:

We have talked privately, but let me make a public apology.

I misread your original post.  I thought you had Instant Web Publishing turned on and you were working with the FileMaker Pro database.  In this case, exporting to Excel is a problem.

When accessing a FileMaker Pro database file via Instant Web Publishing, you cannot export at all, so I apologize for giving you incorrect information.

FileMaker Server only serves up FileMaker Pro files and allows others using FileMaker Pro to use the files.  FileMaker Pro can host up to 10 users at one time.  If you need more users to access the file, then FileMaker Server would be required.  No matter which product you use, Instant Web Publishing will not allow you to export the data.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Exporting or copying from web to excel
                  rogerwilco
                     Have a look at custom web publishing as this uses php and there is a class set to make .xls files on the fly. I've used it and it works really well. If you get a copy of Server Advanced you also get a very nice little wizard to make custom web php web pages.