1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 8:21 AM by philmodjunk

exporting or importing data from a portal

dsmith99

Title

exporting or importing data from a portal

<!-- StartFragment -->

I have downloaded our first ecommerce order (from the guyacross the hall) from a Filemaker shopping cart called Dolphin Cart from an offsite hosting company (did standard export). Go Baby Go.

When I open remote and look at an Admin order table, I cansee his Ship to and Bill to, etc. Then there is a portal at the bottom of thissingle order, with Qty 1 for product X, Qty 2 for product Y, Qty 4 for productZ.

This is good, we all know about portals keying off of anorder number. This order data is in some kind of an inaccessible cgi table thatI can’t get into (I believe).

When I exported that one record, I ended up with 3records, all with all data fields. But only the first record completely filledin, and also in this first record, showing Qty of 1 for product x.

The second record only showed Qty 2 & product Y

The third record only showed Qty  3 & product Z

Only record 1, had the matching field, order ID filled in.

But my goal, either from exporting or importing, is to haveonly one record per customer that shows all customer info and all 3 products(X, Y, & Z…. or however many products were ordered) and their Quantities.If I had this one record, I could export to xls and send the order to ourfulfillment company in another state, which is the ultimate goal.

Is this possible, or will I have to re-write all orders witha pencil?

<!-- EndFragment -->

• 1. Re: exporting or importing data from a portal
          philmodjunk

In the database you have at least two tables. In one table, 1 record represents one order and records the customer information. The second table should record each item purchased and the two should be related by an order number.

In your excel spreadsheet, you don't have records, you have rows of data. If you want all the information from one order to appear in a single row, you'd have to list each item ordered in groups of columns. You might be able to do that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If your current exported file shows multiple rows for each order with the order number showing in each row, customer data only in row 1. I'd keep it in that format. The format should be much more flexible as it will easily adapt to orders that range from a a single item to many different items.

It would be possible to structure the export from filemaker so that the customer info is repeated in each row. That might have advantages if you want to be able to merge multiple orders from one customer into a single shipment.