3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 11:08 AM by philmodjunk

Exporting or viewing files attached in a container field

MichelleConstable

Title

Exporting or viewing files attached in a container field

Hi,

I have been using Filemaker Pro 11 and have .doc, .docx, and .pdf files attached in a container field. When I click on the field, a window appears giving me the option to either export or view the file. No matter which button I click a copy of the file is saved onto my desktop. Now I'm a beginning user with Filemaker Pro working from a layout created by a previous user who is no longer around to answer my questions. Thanks for the help.

Michelle

• 1. Re: Exporting or viewing files attached in a container field
          philmodjunk

If this happens when you click on the field, it would appear the field has been set up as a button that performs a script that let's you choose between using Export field contents to export the file to your desktop or which uses export field contents with the "automatically open file" option to export the file and then open it.

This is just a guess from what you describe here. Note that if the file is not inserted into the container field with the "store by reference" option specified, exporting the file is the only way you can open the file to "view" it. It could, however, be modified to export the file to the temporary items folder to avoid cluttering up your desktop.

You'll need to check out the script and see what it does and then learn how to modify it to produce what you want. (You haven't really spelled out here what change you want to see here.) You can enter layout mode, then double click the file to see if it's set up as a button. If it is button setup... will open with "Perform Script" selected. Click the specify button to bring up the specify script button, then pull down the "gear" drop down to select edit and open the script for editing.

• 2. Re: Exporting or viewing files attached in a container field
            MichelleConstable

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I simply want to (if possible) click on the view option to see it and not have it also export to the desktop. It sounds like I need to set up the temporary items folder to avoid that from what you've said and what I've read in other related posts here.

Thanks for the information. Time to figure out how the last person set this up.

• 3. Re: Exporting or viewing files attached in a container field
              philmodjunk

Just keep in mind that you would not need to export the field contents if the file were inserted with the "store by reference" option.