2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 6:46 PM by comment_1

Exporting Portal Data

kw

Title

Exporting Portal Data

I have a sports database that has teams, players, games, scores tables that are related. However, I'm having problems exporting the related records in the format that I want. We use this in our QuarkXpress layouts for the newspaper, and the portal rows, need to be exported with the game data on one line. When I export the data, the portal rows are individual lines below the game data. Is there a way in Filemaker to export this in the format I need?

What I"m getting:

Philadelphia    13    Newton    0    
      16    McBeth    Run    21
      17    Smith    Kick    12
      18    Willis    run    5
              run    45
      Pearl    20    Brandon    38    
      10    Warren    Run    14
      11    Page        13
      12    McNair    Receiving    12
      9    Durr        
      10    Berry        13
      11    Williams    Run    40
      12    Jett        13
      13    Horne    Run    6
      14    Williams    Run    13
      15    Shepard        13
              Run    1
              Run    56
              run    3
              Run    24

What I need:

Philadelphia    13    Newton    0    16    McBeth    Run    21    17    Smith    Kick    1218    Willis    run    5            12        run    45
      Pearl    20    Brandon    38    10    Warren    Run    14    11    Page        1312    McNair    Receiving    129    Durr        10    Berry        1311    Williams    Run    4012    Jett        1313    Horne    Run    614    Williams    Run    1315    Shepard        13        Run    1        Run    56        run    3        Run    24

• 1. Re: Exporting Portal Data
          philmodjunk

Try this approach:

Define a calculation field, cRow, in the portal table that concatentates all the fields you want into a single string.

Field1 & " " & Field2  and so forth.

In the parent record, define a calculation field as either:

Substitute ( List ( PortalTable::cRow ) ; ¶ ; " " ) //if you want a space between each portal row's data

or

Substitute ( List ( PortalTable::cRow ) ; ¶ ; "" )  //if you don't want any character separating each portal row's data.

Export this second calculation field in place of the portal records.

• 2. Re: Exporting Portal Data
            comment_1

You didn' t say what should separate the fields. If QuarkXpress can accept a comma-separated file, then you COULD create a reasonable facsimile using a calculation field.

However, the best method is to export as XML and use a custom stylesheet to transform the output to your required format.