5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 4:36 PM by philmodjunk

Exporting records

johnharrison

Title

Exporting records

I have a report that only contains specific records that I want and I want to be able to export these records into excel so i can send them to another person who can look at them.

So I go to my report and I try to "Save records as excel," then I select records being browsed and I save it as an excel workbook, but then when I try to open it the workbook is empty.  Any ideas why this is happening or another solution to my problem?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Exporting records
          philmodjunk

This should save your current found set of data to a newly created excel file. What found set did you have at the time?

• 2. Re: Exporting records
            johnharrison

I have figured out that because my report does not have a body there is nothing to export.  My report is based on a sub summary. Is there anyway to export only these records found using a sub summary?

• 3. Re: Exporting records
              philmodjunk

Use Export records instead of save as Excel and then use the the Group by option. It will allow you to export one row of data for each sub summary row in your report.

• 4. Re: Exporting records
                johnharrison

I used the group by option, but I dont understand what you mean when you say "it will allow you to export one row of data for each sub summary..." after I clicked the sub summary field there was no option similar to what you said

• 5. Re: Exporting records
                  philmodjunk

Your sub summary layout part has specified a "when sorted by" field.

Select that field as your "group by" field.

Then select the fields you want to export in the lower fields box in the dialog. The top to bottom order in this list will match the left to right order of the columns of data in your excel file.

If your filemaker  report shows 5 rows of data from 5 instances of your sub summary layout part, you'll get 5 rows of data in the excel file that this produces.