7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 7:08 AM by RT

Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?

RT

Title

Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?

I am a Filemaker novice but have an issue that I really don't understand and is driving me crazy. I am almost certain I am being extremely dense somehow.

I have a database of books (consisting of two files (one with the data and one with the interface which has the tables in). I have a script in the interface file that produces a found set of records and returns them into a list. This all seems to work correctly. Except when I come to export the list of the found set it then exports all the records in the database.

Has anyone got any suggestions why it does this? Is driving me slowly mad. I suspect it may be something to do with the separation model but is just a guess.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Robin

• 1. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
          philmodjunk

Immediately after the export, what found set do you have?

What exact steps do you use to export the data? Do you use a script or do it by hand from the File menu?

• 2. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
            RT

Many thanks. The found set in the database remains the same - But, the exported file has all the records in the database. The exported file is an XML file - Not sure if that makes any difference.

The export is run from a script.

• 3. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
              philmodjunk

I need to see that script.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
              2. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
              3. If You have FileMaker advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
              4. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
              • 4. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
                RT

Many thanks for any help.

Script is as below:

Product: Exports: Website XML Export

Allow User Abort [ Off ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Export Records [ Character Set: “Windows (ANSI)”; Field Order: PM_Product::ID_External_System PM_Product::Collection
                PM_Product::TitleWithoutPrefix
                PM_Product::Contributor_Primary_PersonName

PM_Product::Contributor_Primary_Bio

PM_Product::ShortDescription

PM_Product::MainDescription

PM_Product::Excerpt

PM_Product::T ableofContents

PM_Product::PublishingDate_YYYYMMDD

PM_Product::Price_Amount_GBP

PM_Product::Width

PM_Product::Height

PM_Product_Onix_Extent_RR::ExtentValue

PM_Product::ProductForm

PM_Product::ISBN-13

PM_Product::GTIN-13

PM_Product::Illustration_Type_Code

PM_Product::PublisherName

PM_Product::Category_Own

PM_Product::Contributor_Secondary_PersonName

PM_Product::Contributor_Secondary_Bio

PM_Product::NumberofIllustrations

PM_Product::Web_Sale_Percent

PM_Product::Price_Amount_USD

PM_Product::Subtitle ] [ No dialog ] 

• 5. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
                  RT

Not sure if is helpful. But have placed a short Quicktime screen grab of the export showing the amount of records in the found set and the number of records in the resultant file on my Drop Box (link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/363830/Export.zip).

When I export in any other file format than XML the record count is correct. Driving me bonkers.

• 6. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
                    philmodjunk

That is ODD, I would expect XML to export the found set like any other format.

One picky, but critical detail needs to be checked:

You are exporting from a table occurrence named: "PM_Product". Open Layout setup for the layout you have up when you export the records. Do you see exactly the same text in "Show Records From"?

If they are not the same, this could explain why you are having the entire table exported instead of just the found set.

• 7. Re: Exporting records exports all records and not just the found set - Why?
                      RT

If I look on the server at the 'data' file it shows the full number of records in that table. So, going to guess it is an issue with the 'separation' model and XML as if I use for example CSV then the correct of records are exported. So, in short, need to move platforms.

I hoped that I was doing something 'obvious' wrong as am very much a novice but looks like very much a failing of Filemaker in enabling separation of data and interface. Will look at other options.

Happy to copy the original files if helps as looks like they aren't a lot of use to us now.

Thanks, for your help.

Robin