3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 11:02 AM by TSGal

Exporting records to Excel

JDenault

Title

Exporting records to Excel

Hey there, 

I have 2 tables, one let's call "Data" with 6 fields, each field has a drop down 1-10 rating, and a date.  Simple.  Second table has 2 fields, "Notes" and a date.  I have the 2 tables linked together by "Date", since that is unique in each one, and is only used once per day.

The Data table is used everyday, the Notes table only infrequently (when needed).  Question is, what kind of script would I need to export all the data from the "Data" table to Excel AND the accompanying "Notes" for certain entries?  Even more elaborate, can the notes show up as a "caret" ( i think its called that) in an Excel cell, when clicked, would pop open the notes?

Thanks

by the way, feel free to let me know if I had the relationships set up wrong.  The only common thing I could think of was linking by "date".  Autonumber wouldn't work I dont think, again, I dont use the "Notes" table everyday 

• 1. Re: Exporting records to Excel
          TSGal

J Denault:

Thank you for your post.

When exporting to Excel, you can select fields from the current table as well as any related fields.  Therefore, select the fields from Data as well as the Notes field from Notes table.

When you select the "Export Records..." script step, select the file type as Excel, and then specify the output order.  In the "Specify Field Order for Output" dialog box, the fields are listed on the left side.  At the top of that list is a pop-up which says something like: Current Table ( "Data" )

Move the fields from "Data" that you want to export.  Then, click on the pop-up and change it to the "Notes" table, where you can now select the Notes field and add it to the export order.

I'm not familiar enough with Excel to know how a "caret" operates, so you will probably need to check how to set that up with Excel.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Exporting records to Excel
            JDenault
               Thank you TSGal.  I take it this is the basic way to query information from multiple tables into one table or form based on a unique identifier?  I had been trying to figure that part out too
            • 3. Re: Exporting records to Excel
              TSGal

J Denault:

Usually when you query information, you enter "Find Mode" (from the View menu) and enter information into the fields.  If you have fields on the layout from related tables, you can enter search criteria.  However, the finding will still occur for the current table.  For example, if you have an Invoices table that has a portal into an Inventory database, you can search for a specific product in the Inventory database, but since you are in the Invoices table, the result will show all invoices that contain that specific product.  Other products may/will show up in the portal, but the specific product will be listed.  Does that make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.