AnsweredAssumed Answered

Exporting Records to Merge File Problem with Word for Windows (2010)

Question asked by karldickhaus on Aug 12, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 by mgores

Title

Exporting Records to Merge File Problem with Word for Windows (2010)

I have a script that exports files to a merge file for use with templates in M$ Word. Word for Mac (2008) works just fine. I select the merge file as the data source and everything is roses. On the Windows side, however, I get an error telling me that it won't work. When I open the merge file in a text editor, there are two paragraph entries at the end of the last record. I suspect this is a CRLF issue. I don't know what FMP's default end of record delimiter is - whether it is a CR, an LF or the CRLF (which is what I suspect). I need a workaround, because the merge functionallity of this database is critical to the solution. I can't open the merge file and replace the end of record delimiter every time - it would be far too time consuming - not to mention confusing to the end user. This only happens in Windows - the Mac users have no similar problems. I am using FMP 11 and Word for Windows 2010. The file is exported as Windows ANSI and as a .mer (Merge) file. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. This is causing me to age :).

Outcomes