8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2012 1:04 PM by Lynnie26

Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.

Lynnie26

Title

Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.

Hi all,

I regularly export contact records as excel spreadsheets from Filemaker Pro 11.  Many of these records have related contacts (i.e contacts who are with the same company) but Filemaker only exports the original contact record and not the related contacts. I'd like to also export the related contacts into the Excel spreadsheets.

Any advise on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Lynn

• 1. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
          philmodjunk

Filemaker can definitely export the related records, but you will need to go about it in a way that pulls up the related records as part of your found set.

How is the relationship setup?

Are all the contact records in the same table?

• 2. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
            Lynnie26

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your message. It's was created using the FM Pro 11 quick start contact solution, so the related contacts are displayed in the lower portion of a record under the 'related records' tab, between the address and notes tabs.

Thanks for your help with this.

Lynn

• 3. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
              philmodjunk

What exactly do you need to see in the Excel file thus produced?

Do you need to see just the related contacts? The current contact plus the related contacts all in identical rows of data?

• 4. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
                Lynnie26

Ideally, i'd like to be able to see all the contacts for a related company included in the overall list of found records.  For example:

First Name        Last Name          Company            Position  

Joe                      Bloggs                 Acme Inc.            Director  

Jane                    Smith                   Acme Inc.           Marketing Assistant

Mary                    Jones                  Acme Inc.            CEO

Richard                Hines                  Android Ltd         Marketing

Is this possible?

Thanks Phil,

Lynn

• 5. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
                  philmodjunk

Would that be the overall list of found records on the Record Detail layout found in the Contact Management Starter Solution for FMP 11?

and this would include the contacts, not just the related contacts? (The relationship to related contacts filters out the contact for the current contact record on the layout.)

I think you will need a script to pull up that info in a found set of contacts to get the best results for this.

a script could use:

Go To Related Record[Show Only Related Records ; Match Found Set ; from table: "Similar_Company" ; "Record_List" ( Contact Management ) ]
                       Sort Records [No dialog ; restore]

You can actually specify any layout, including the current layout, but Recodr_List will make it easier to inspect what records will be exported before you export them. I suggest including the sort step so that you can sort the resulting records by company to better group them for the export.

• 6. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
                    Lynnie26

Thanks for your feedback Phil.  I'm getting a little confused (sorry).

I guess another good example of what I'm after is:

With the 'Event Management' starter solution in FM Pro 11, there's the main record whereby you enter all the event details, then below, there's a tab called 'contacts'  with a separate table (Events_EventsContacts (1...4+) where you can add numerous contacts related to that event record.

When you then switch to table view, i've told Filemaker all the fields I want included in the table view and the first contact from the Events_EventsContacts Table is included  in the table view automatically by the starter solution, which then exports into an excel spreadsheet fine when I click the 'save as excel tab.'

However, I would like all relevant contacts for that event (that have been added to the Events_EventsContacts Table) to also be exported into the excel spreadsheet, not just the first contact.  Will this still require a script?

Thanks so much for your continued support!

Lynn

• 7. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
                      philmodjunk

That won't work. In table view, you won't be able to list multiple contacts from the portal.

So you are working with a copy of Event Management? It would have saved a lot of trouble if you had identified the starter solution at the start.

This starter solution does not come with a layout based on a table occurrence that you can use for this, but you can add one.

Create a new layout and select Events_EventsContacts in "Show Records From".

Then you can use:

Go To Related Record[Show Only Related Records ; from table: "Events_EventsContacts" ; "Events_EventsContacts" ( Events_EventsContacts ) ]

Note that I have taken out the "match found set" option as I don't think you want that option as you appear to want all contacts for the current event, not all contacts for multiple events.

• 8. Re: Exporting related contacts into Excel spreadsheets.
                        Lynnie26

Thanks for your help, Phil.  I'll try what you've suggested regarding the Event Management solution. 

I'm actually using both the Contact Management starter solution (which also has multiple related contacts) AND the Event Management Starter solution and need to be able to export an excel list with all related contacts for both, which is why I also mention the Event Management Solution.

I'll try creating a new layout which will hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks again,

Lynn