AnsweredAssumed Answered

exporting related records to csv

Question asked by margotjacqz on Apr 22, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 23, 2012 by margotjacqz

Title

exporting related records to csv

Returning to the question of creating a CSV file with names and associated contact data (for import to other apps) (address book, google, etc) This is not, I think, complicated only tedious. Just doing a gut check on my strategy, and wondering if there is a better way. Thanks for any insights.

Situation (simplified a bit) has two related tables:

A: names and related singular data (names, address, company, title)

B: Contact points linked by a kUID. Table B has two fields: Type label (ie work phone, email personal, etc) and Data (number, address, etc). The label is chosen from a Type value list of about 15 options.

I understand how to create a layout based on table B, with data from A being repeated on different rows, but I am unsure that solves a problem of how to Map the variously labeled fields in the export/import process.

I can envision a script to

- create variables:  IF (lable = "work number"; set variable [$work=<phonefield>)  ELSE IF (lable=$home; set ...  etc etc.

- move to a new table with a separate field for every variable iteration, and other data from Table A, and use look ups and SetFieldByName to create new records.  The way I see it I'll still have multiple records for each UID, but data will be in specific fields (columns).

How do I loop through the original layout / found set? 

Is there a way that will create a single record (row) with all the data related to one UID in it's proper field?

Outcomes