6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 6:03 AM by philmodjunk

Exporting to Excel

smokey

Title

Exporting to Excel

I have developed a program in FMP 11 and would like to know how to export information into an Excel spreadsheet.  This information would be coming from 2 different portals.

Thank you,

Smokey

• 1. Re: Exporting to Excel
          philmodjunk

Do you need to use this export to create a new Excel file or to export it to an existing file?

• 2. Re: Exporting to Excel
            smokey

I need this export to create a new Excel file.

• 3. Re: Exporting to Excel
              philmodjunk

Then both Export Records and Save As | Excel are possible ways to create such a file. The key limitation here is that these methods always create a new file from each new export of the data.

This information would be coming from 2 different portals.

That would appear to be a possible complication depending on how you need the data organized in the Excel file thus produced.

• 4. Re: Exporting to Excel
                smokey

Can you tell me step by step how to accomplish this.  You need to talk to me like I'm a 3 year old when it comes to stuff like this (sorry!)

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Exporting to Excel
                  TKnTexas

I will share the approach I take.  I create a layout that is visually what I want to see in Excel.  From this layout I export.  I make sure I have the FOUND SET I want.  

Select File > Export 
                  Navigate to the folder where you want the file to be saved.  On this screen, select the Excel *.xls  or *.xlsx File Type.  I usually select to Automatically Open File (so I can review it).

The next screen I rarely use, but it is self-explanatory.

On the next screen, select the fields you want to export.  Select them in the order you want to see them in Excel.  I usually select the Apply current layout formatting to exported data.

Click on Export.

If you want to export subtotals, you will need to Sort the Data before starting.  In the Group By box in the upper right you will see fields to check.  I almost NEVER export the subtotals.  I can add these in Excel with the Subtotal Function.  

You do not use Portals to export.  Portals are windows into the Child table.  Exports would be done from the Child Table but can include Parent Table data.  

Think about this, how it applies to your need.  Then list questions and not more specific information to your scenario.  You reference TWO portals.  So you have a Parent Table and TWO different Child Tables?  Or do the two portals show data in different ways from the same Child Table?  

• 6. Re: Exporting to Excel
                    philmodjunk

What I was waiting for was a description of exactly what you wanted to see in your Excel file once the data was exported. "This information would be coming from 2 different portals." does not tell me that and there is more than one format this data could take depending on how you set this up.