4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 12:49 PM by aklobby

Exporting to vCard?

maxstar

Title

Exporting to vCard?

How Can I Export FileMaker 12 records in the vCard format?  I am trying to send contact information from FileMaker to Apple AddressBook and Daylight.  Does anyone know how to export information in the vCard format?  I am using FileMaker 12 on a MacBook.  

• 1. Re: Exporting to vCard?
          ChristopherFord

The Simple solution - Without Exporting the Images
               Using FileMaker Pro 12 or FileMaker Pro Advanced create a new Calculation Field in the Contacts Table of a standard contact template.
               Set the Storage Options to Recalculate when needed and uncheck "Do not evaluate if all fields are empty"

Paste the following calc into the textbox:-

"BEGIN:VCARD" & ¶ &

"VERSION:3.0" & ¶ &

"PRODID:-//Apple Inc.//Address Book 6.1.3//EN" & ¶ &

"N:" & Last & ";" & First & ";;;" & ¶ &

"FN:" & First & " " & Last & ¶ &

"ORG:" & Company & ";" & ¶ &

"item1.EMAIL;type=INTERNET;type=pref:" & Work Email & ¶ &

"item1.X-ABLabel:work" & ¶ &

"EMAIL;type=INTERNET;type=HOME:" & Home Email & ¶ &

"TEL;type=WORK;type=VOICE;type=pref:" & Work Phone & ¶ &

"TEL;type=CELL;type=VOICE:" & Mobile Phone & ¶ &

"TEL;type=HOME;type=VOICE:" & Home Phone & ¶ &

"TEL;type=WORK;type=FAX:" & Fax & ¶ &

"item2.ADR;type=WORK;type=pref:;;" & Work Address 1 & ";" & Work City & ";" & Work State & ";" & Work Postal Code & ";" & Work Country & ¶ &

"item2.X-ABADR:us" & ¶ &

"item3.ADR;type=HOME:;;" & Home Address 1 & ";" & Home City & ";" & Home State & ";" & Home Postal Code & ";" & Home Country & ¶ &

"item3.X-ABADR:us" & ¶ &

"NOTE:" & Substitute ( Notes ; ¶ ; "\n" ) & ¶ &

"item4.URL;type=pref:" & Website & ¶ &

"item4.X-ABLabel:_$!<HomePage>!$_" & ¶ &

"IMPP;X-SERVICE-TYPE=Skype;type=WORK;type=pref:skype:" & IM & ¶ &

"END:VCARD"

Now create a button for a script that exports the Contacts::vCard field as "exampefilename.vcf"

Importing and Exporting vCards with ImageData complete is possible, but is more involved but definitly possible.
               I may sell a Contacts.fmp12 in the future to other developers with all the bells and whistles as a module
               that streamlines solution creation and just needs custom interfacing... contact me through my website
               http://www.seafordservices.com for more info.

• 2. Re: Exporting to vCard?
            fbloch

Hi,

I've tried this, but you don't specify the format for exporting the vcard from Filemaker.  I tried using "XML" which I thought was appropriate but Contacts gives an error saying "No importable cards were found."  when I try to import the data.

• 3. Re: Exporting to vCard?
              golding18

You must make a script and use "Export Field Contents" instead of exporting records.

• 4. Re: Exporting to vCard?
                aklobby

I just stumbled across this thread and was pleased to try it. 

This works great on a database that is on my desktop, but when I try to export from a hosted database I get the error that the file could not be created on the disk, use different name, make more room etc.... My script is simple (maybe too simple) I set the path to the temporary path, give it a name with .vcf and export the field contents.