5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 2:54 PM by Sorbsbuster

Exporting with Field Names

JM7536

Title

Exporting with Field Names

Hi, I'm trying to export my FMP data into Excel, but whenever I go so it doesn't include the Field Names, which I need as the column headers. As I have 600+ field names, I would rather not enter them manually. Even an text file or excel  download of the field name listing would work, but the best I can do is get a printout of the field names in "Scriptmaker". Is there any way to do this? I'm using what must be an ancient version, 5.0v1...kinda suspect that's the problem...

• 1. Re: Exporting with Field Names
          philmodjunk

5.0 is very ancient indeed. I opened a copy of 5.5v2--the closest version to that I have installed and found that I couldn't export directly to Excel. I do have the option to export a merge file and this produces a text file with the field names in row one--so that option may work for you.

I do recommend you upgrade soon if you can possibly scrape up the dollars to do so.

• 2. Re: Exporting with Field Names
            Sorbsbuster

Ah, Version 5...  I remember it well, and with great affection (and still have clients running it, perfectly happily.)  Merge File format is the way to go.  And for me, still is.

• 3. Re: Exporting with Field Names
              philmodjunk

and still have clients running it, perfectly happily

My concern here is that fewer and fewer new computers can run this version of FileMaker. They may be perfectly happy now, but if there current machine fails and no replacement machine can run the software...

I successfully made the case to my current employer that we needed to upgrade now while we had time to do it right rather than waiting until we had to do it in a hurry just to get a version of the system up and running on a replacement machine.

• 4. Re: Exporting with Field Names
                Sorbsbuster

I agree.  Would never want to rely on a coal-fired steam engine to get to work in the morning.  But when you see it, it is still a lovely piece of antique machinery.

• 5. Re: Exporting with Field Names
                  Sorbsbuster

But with 600 field names, aren't you going to hit Excel's paltry limit of 256?