4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 9:49 PM by sdonner

Extend Find Based on Multiple IDs?

sdonner

Title

Extend Find Based on Multiple IDs?

I have a Students table and a Plans table related by StudentID. Each student has their own ID. Each student can have multiple plans. Plans can be "Current" or "Completed".

I want to find students who meet an initial criteria (e.g. have plans for math fact fluency), then extend that find to include all the "Current" plans for those same students.

Thanks in advance for help!

• 1. Re: Extend Find Based on Multiple IDs?
          philmodjunk

Students----<Plans

Students::__pkStudentID = Plans::_fkStudentID

On the Students layout perform your find for the specific type of plan such as "current", "math".

Use Go To Related Records with the "Match found set" option to bring up a found set in Plans of all related Plans records.

Enter find mode on this layout and specify "current". Constrain the found set.

• 2. Re: Extend Find Based on Multiple IDs?
            sdonner

Hi Phil:

I need to do all the finds within the Plans table. Students table just has StudentID, Name, and Grade.

I was thinking of a self-join, then creating a layout with a portal that shows only unique StudentIDs and running a script that moves through each portal row extending the find based on StudentID, then constraining the found set to "current". I'm just not sure how to put all that together. Help?

• 3. Re: Extend Find Based on Multiple IDs?
              philmodjunk

I need to do all the finds within the Plans table. Students table just has StudentID, Name, and Grade.

That list of fields is what I would expect for your students table, but you can still perform a find on your students layout and specify criteria in fields from the related Plans table. You are not restricted to just specifying search criteria from the students table when you perform your find on the students layout.

• 4. Re: Extend Find Based on Multiple IDs?
                sdonner

Thank you, Phil!

Your suggestions worked perfectly!