7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 1:39 PM by Matty_1

External data base issue ...

Matty_1

Title

External data base issue ...

Hello, I'm having issues with one of my external databases.  I currently have multiple double file data base models (sorry I forget the proper term used for this) where the layouts are in one file and the data stored in another.   I've been using this without issues for sometime now.  Just the other day I wanted to pull some employee information into one of our systems so I did like I always do and added an external data source, found the database, added an occurrence and then used it like any other.  I also made sure the user name and passwords where the same between each data base.  The day itself that I installed this everything worked fine and the following day it stopped working.

When I go to enter the area where the employee data base needs to be accessed I'm prompted to enter my username and password.  Once I do so I get the following message and the field does not function properly.

“HR Portal - Data” is currently in use and could not be opened.  If the file is shared, you can use the Open Remote command to open the file on the network.  (If you’ve opened the file before, check the Open Recent menu.)

Any ideas as to what's causing this?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: External data base issue ...
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you didn't use the "open remote" option when setting up the external data source reference and thus each time this reference attempts to open the file it is opening the file exaclty like you would if you used Open from your FIle menu to open it manually.

• 2. Re: External data base issue ...
            Matty_1

I made all the changes to fmnet:/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/Database and I'm still getting the same message :(

• 3. Re: External data base issue ...
              philmodjunk

But did you do it this way?

Click the Add file button, in the dialog that appears, select the Remote option and select the desired server, then the  file just as though you are selecting the file to open it manually from the File | open remote menu option.

another issue to check:

Can you connect to this file manually using Open Remote from the file menu?

• 4. Re: External data base issue ...
                Matty_1

Yes I have done both and I'm still getting the same issue.

The host computer can connect and display the information I'm looking for but anything connecting to the hosted database (that's anything using the open remote) gets the error message.

Note that I've used the method mentioned above to add the external data to the file on the host computer.  I don't  understand why I'm not having any issues at all with the main file which is using the same separated model.  All but my main file is giving me errors and the only difference is that the other files aren't at the root or "beside" my layout out file for my main database.  Is that the problem?

• 5. Re: External data base issue ...
                  philmodjunk

I'm not sure that I see the answer to this question:

Can you connect to this file manually using Open Remote from the file menu?

SInce you have separated data and interfaces, you may have multiple external data source references. (And it's possible to have more than one external data source reference to the same file from the same file.) I suggest reviewing each and every one.

I can't guarantee that this is the issue, but if you have reference that is valid on the host machine as a direct reference to a file, you would not see this error message on the host machine, but you would see this error on the client machines. That would seem to exactly describe the behavior you are reporting.

• 6. Re: External data base issue ...
                    Matty_1

Sorry my reply wasn't clear, yes I was able to connect to the data base using the file open remote function.

I can't guarantee that this is the issue, but if you have reference that is valid on the host machine as a direct reference to a file, you would not see this error message on the host machine, but you would see this error on the client machines. That would seem to exactly describe the behavior you are reporting.

Correct, this is the problem I'm having.  I've tried both a direct file path ( file:../FOLDER/Database ) and the network path ( fmnet:/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/Database ) and both return the same results.

• 7. Re: External data base issue ...
                      Matty_1

Knock on wood .... looks like I fixed it.

I added the extension ".fmp12" and this appears to have fixed the problem ... I simply assumed it wasn't necessary if FileMaker wasn't adding it to the path when I took the suggested "open remote" method in the edit external data source window pane.  Figured I'd try it anyways and it looks like it works.  Not sure if it will die on me later ... here's hoping!