3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 7:38 AM by actualjon

External data sources help

mj_hope2010

Title

External data sources help

So I have a filemaker database that I'm running on an ipod (using FMtouch) to collect data. Now what I want to do is to get this data from a PC (running filemaker pro advanced) to an SQL database. I made an ODBC system DSN, and set this up as an external data source in filemaker. The database I'm working with has a folder called 'Tables', in which the table I need to work with sits...also in this folder is another folder called 'system tables' which contains a bunch of tables I don't want to touch. So when I go into manage database, click on the 'realtionships' tab, and then try to add one of the tables I'm working with from the SQL database, it only shows me those 'system tables', not the ones I actually want to work with. I've played with all the options I can come up with but I'm not getting anywhere. Any suggestions? I can't even figure out why FM is doing this...is it that it's automatically looking into the deepest level of organization? Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: External data sources help
          mrvodka

Did you check the permissions of the accounts thta you are using to connect to the SQL table? Also did you check to make sure that they werent views? There are some options when you establish the External Source that you can play with.

• 2. Re: External data sources help
            JoshO.

Double check your System DSN and make sure that it is not set to connect to that sub-folder.

• 3. Re: External data sources help
              actualjon

As Mr Vodka mentioned, you should check with your database administrator (DBA) to make sure your SQL account has privileges for listing the tables in the database.

Second, you should just use the default settings for the "Filter by Type" checkboxes when configuring your External Data Source (in other words, only the "Tables" checkbox should be selected).

It is possible that the tables you want to see aren't really true tables - instead, they are "Views".  If that's the case, you should also select the "Views" checkbox.

With either of these settings, you should indeed see only the tables (and views), with no system tables.  If you don't see your tables, then there is very likely a permissions issue with your SQL account.  Your DBA should be able to fix that.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies