3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 4:37 PM by CountryBoy1

External Database record positioning

CountryBoy1

Title

External Database record positioning

Using Filemaker Pro 9 advanced:

Have a tab control in the header area (for table view).  Each tab has a button that can
       call script "Maps" to open an external data base.  The external data base has just 2 fields:

Index and Container.  The container holds .jpg images.  When the external database is

opened, it nicely shows just one .jpg image (in form mode).  After viewing the .jpg image,

the user can close its window.  However, I can't get the external data base to show the

correct record, based upon which tab is showing in the main database.  (It can be set

manually, but that's not what I want.)

The main database and the external database have no relationships

although the external database IS included in the relationships window

of the main database.  Is there a way to have a start-up script run in

the external database based on a relationship ?  Thanks for your help.  CountryBoy1

• 1. Re: External Database record positioning
          TSGal

CountryBoy1:

It's difficult to determine what isn't working without seeing the script.  Can you let me know what scripts the buttons call?  This may help me determine what is the problem.

Since the main database and external database have no relationship, then there could not be a script run based upon a relationship.  I'm a little confused.

However, in your start-up script, you can have a reference to Perform Script in another external database.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: External Database record positioning
            philmodjunk

It sounds like you need to define a relationship connecting your two tables and then use the Go To Related Record script step to select the correct matching record. You can read up on the different options for this step in the help file.

Note: If there is a chance that there might not be a matching record for every instance in your first file/table, then this script step can produce confusing results unless you specifically test for the absence of any matching records.

Read about GTRR and then post some more info on what you are trying to do and we'll see if we can help you out.

• 3. Re: External Database record positioning
              CountryBoy1

Dear TSGal:

Thanks for your help.  I may have a way to do it.  As I remember, a start-up script can be specified

for an executable.  I created a script in the external database that reads a global in the main database

and sets the record position.  It works as expected and as a start-up script, it should do the job.

Sincerely, CountryBoy1