3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 10:20 AM by philmodjunk

Extra square character(s) showing up randomly in PDF export from FMP

AnthonyS

Title

Extra square character(s) showing up randomly in PDF export from FMP

A lot of our employees generate PDFs from FileMaker Pro, but sometimes random square characters show up in those PDFs. Those squares usually disappear if the PDF is generated a second time (Save as PDF). We generate long PDFs, so it is a pain that we cannot rely on output from FileMaker to be consistent. As far as I can tell, the extra character(s) is created during PDF creation; the character(s) doesn't show up in the "Preview" before export. Please see the attached example image (Selection_023.png). 

Any Ideas? These PDFs are used for business, so it doesn't look very professional if squares are showing up randomly :(

-Antho

Selection_023.png

• 1. Re: Extra square character(s) showing up randomly in PDF export from FMP
          philmodjunk

That symbol indicates that there is a character there that cannot be rendered with the specified font. This can be due to a font substitution taking place or you may have a non visible character in your text that is invisible to the user in Browse mode but is rendered with this symbol when you generate the PDF.

In the example shown, you should be able to position the cursor one space to the right of the word and, then press the forward delete key to delete the invisible character.

Is it possible that you have text pasted from another application here?

• 2. Re: Extra square character(s) showing up randomly in PDF export from FMP
            AnthonyS

Phil,

The text is pulled from a PostgreSQL database (ODBC nightly). I find it odd that simply pushing the "Save as PDF" button again will generally cause this character to disappear. I would think that if a bad character were there in the database, it would always show up in every PDF export. Sometimes they don't exactly show up right in-line with the text. See attached image (Selection_024.png). 

I will try your advice and see if I can delete the invisible character, but I will have no way of knowing if it worked because the character doesn't consistently show up in the same place (sometimes it doesn't show up at all, sometimes it shows up in multiple places). I will also have a close look at the fields and layout to ensure that this is not a font substitution issue. 

Thanks,

-Antho

• 3. Re: Extra square character(s) showing up randomly in PDF export from FMP
              philmodjunk

Your second screen shot suggests that this character is in a different field or object on your layout and not part of the visible text. Definitely an odd situation.