2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 1:24 PM by KevinPlumb

Extract first sentence from paragraph

ShirleyMB

Title

Extract first sentence from paragraph

Using Filemaker Pro 8, which function do I use to get the first sentence from a paragraph? A sample calculation would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Extract first sentence from paragraph
          philmodjunk

Get Value ( Substitute ( YourTable::textfield ; ["." ; ¶ ] ; ["!" ; ¶ ] ; ["?" ; ¶ ] ) ; 1 )

I don't have version 8, so check to see if the brackets work with version 8 like they do with newer versions. You can include additional brackets if there is other punctuation that might mark the end of your sentence. Please note that this expression strips of the punctuation used. Putting it back on the end of the sentence can be done if you need that as well.

• 2. Re: Extract first sentence from paragraph
            KevinPlumb

Hi,

I am having two problems with this that I am hoping someone can help me with.

When I try the "Get Value" as shown it works great but the sentence is missing a period. I see in the answer it says to include additional brackets if there is other punctuation that might mark the end of the sentence but I can't make it work (I am almost an absolute beginner at FileMaker). Would someone please show me how to make the period appear?

Some of my sentences begin with quotation marks is there a way to have the script close the quotation marks?

Thanks in advance