4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 12:35 PM by philmodjunk

Extracting a report

IlseVerhaert

Title

Extracting a report

Hi,

Our field reps are doing a survey per client by 10 of its employees. Using a button, I lead the field rep to the survey. What I want to achieve right now is the following:

- Every time they start surveying with a new client, I want them to start from a blank survey, adding records per employee of only that client.

-  Have a button that provides the display of the information of 5 fields, of only the employees of that client where they performed the survey at that moment. They need to send this information right away to the client.

- In another file, all information of all clients should be gathered

I hope this is possible... Thanks!

• 1. Re: Extracting a report
          philmodjunk

To start, see this thread on questionaires and surveys in FileMaker: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.

Every time they start surveying with a new client, I want them to start from a blank survey, adding records per employee of only that client.

There are a lot of little variations possible, but the key step is to create a new Respondant record and then record each answer in a new response record that is linked to that respondant and to a record in your questions table.

Have a button that provides the display of the information of 5 fields, of only the employees of that client where they performed the survey at that moment.

I don't know what "five fields" that might be, but if you mean that you want to see a summary of the responses recorded by the people surveyed, this can be one with a script to find the needed records and present them in a summary report based on their table of responses.

They need to send this information right away to the client.

This could take the form of a PDF generated from this report and then attached to an email sent to the client.

- In another file, all information of all clients should be gathered

If you can establish the needed link via WiFi or 4G back to a central hosted database, this could take place automatically as your data could be entered directly into a hosted database. It is also possible for the data to be collected in iOS devices or a computer and then the data may be imported into a central database back at "home base".

• 2. Re: Extracting a report
            IlseVerhaert

Thank you so much, I will take a close look at it right now

• 3. Re: Extracting a report
              IlseVerhaert
              key step is to create a new Respondant record and then record each answer in a new response record that is linked to that respondant and to a record in your questions table. => you mean I need to create three tables, 1) one in which I keep track of all respondants, 2) I keep track of the questions, so one field and in the records I put the question 3) Answers to the questions, so one record contains all answers to all questions, one answer per field? Have a button that provides the display of the information of 5 fields, of only the employees of that client where they performed the survey at that moment. => I mean that I want to display a table with only certain fields (key information). So no summary, but all individual answers of the employees to certain questions, listed below each other. (So row = answer, column = question). Thanks!
              • 4. Re: Extracting a report
                philmodjunk

The tables and relationships to which I am referring are documented in the other thread for which I posted a link. You may need more than 3 tables before all is working as it should, but you are correct as to the function of these three. But what I am describing is the process of starting a new session with a new respondent. That requires creating a new respondent record and then each time they answer a question, a new record linked to that respondent is created. You can create all the Response records in advance, each linked to a different question record or you can create them one at a time as each new question is brought up for an answer.

While your report can certainly list individual responses to each question, must people also want a summary of one form or the other. (80% rated Question 1 as Poor, 2% as excellent, etc.)

Either way, it's simply a process of finding the correct response records and pulling them up on a layout designed for that purpose so that you can save a PDF to send to your client.