1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 7:55 PM by LaRetta_1

Extracting Brand table from product list

brettpix

Title

Extracting Brand table from product list

I have a very large food prodcut list from which I want to create a brand table.

Each Prodcut contains the brand name followed by the product name. There are no separator commas or other dividers. Also brand names can be one or more words.

eg

ARNOLDS FARM MUESLI STRAWBERRY N YOGHURT

ARNOLDS FARM MUESLI TOASTED FARMHOUSE

ARNOTTS ANZAC (10G)

ARNOTTS ARNO SHORTBREAD

ARNOTTS ASSORTED CREAMS

ARNOTTS BRETON REGULAR

MCDONALDS COFFEE CAPPUCCINO SMALL

MCDONALDS SOFT DRINK COCA COLA SMALL

MCDONALDS SOFT DRINK FANTA SMALL

MCDONALDS BURGER DOULBLE BEEF & BACON

HUNGRY JACKS BURGER WHOPPER (269 G)

HUNGRY JACKS BURGER WHOPPER WITH CHEESE (294 G)

HUNGRY JACKS BURGER HAMBURGER (120 G)

We want to extract the brand name (The words that match in the start of the string) and the product name (the rest of the string after the brand name)

I assume I will have to do some clean up after but imagine I can the matching portion of the data from the nonmatching part?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Brett

• 1. Re: Extracting Brand table from product list
          LaRetta_1

Hi Brett,

Here is a file which shows how to process this type of data.  You will have to type the brands into the Brands table but since it produces results immediately, you can see ones you still need to enter.  Once you have the brands, getting the portion of the product which is NOT the brand becomes simple.

http://www.directlinesolutions.com/downloads/LocateBrand.zip

I hope this is helpful to work through it.  Also, if you happen to have a Brands list somewhere you can use it instead of the related table.  As you enter the Brands and the cProductOnly portion fills in, you can easily perform a find on cProductOnly for ERROR to find those which need to still be entered.  Note that if there is potential of two matches, it produces an error as well in which case you must manually decide.  An example would be if there is a Brand called 'Hungry" and there is a brand called "Hungry Jacks" you will get ERROR because there will be two potential matches for a product called Hungry Jacks Pancakes.