2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 11:42 AM by amlikhith

Extracting date

amlikhith

Title

Extracting date

I would like to create a number string using various aspect of a date. For eg. I want to extract the day of the date in a 2 digit format ( 03 for 3rd June) along with a 2 digit month format ( 06 for June) and also a 2 digit year format (65 for 1965). I used year(date) but it only returns a 4-digt date, a  day(date) returns one or two digits.

I want to string these numbers with another unique number. If I use & "" &, can the long string be still calculated as a number of should I used 100000000* dd + 1000000*mm + 10000*yy + nnnn to make sure that the final string is a number?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

• 1. Re: Extracting date
          philmodjunk

Right ( "0" & Day(datefield ) ; 2 ) will add in the leading zero.

Right ( Year ( datefield ) ; 2 ) will return just the last two digits of the year.

you can use the concatenation operator (&) to "glue" together the parts of your number and still get a number value if you specify "number" as the return type for your calculation (or use a number field with this expression as an auto-entered calculation).

Note: I do not recommend using this value as a primary key in your database.

• 2. Re: Extracting date
            amlikhith

Fantastic...Thanks Phil. It worked.