AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extreme Noob Question

Question asked by JamesTinker on Mar 24, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 by JamesTinker

Title

Extreme Noob Question

Hello,

I'd like to be able to make a searchable document that allows me to see what print specs are in use where in my workflow. I need to explain a little more so here goes. I would like to be able to make this document so that I can enter information in several categories that pertain to my proofing and colour management workflow which is based around different printing specifications. The categories I have are:

Proofing workflow (name of workflow)

Colourspace (name of print spec)

Media (paper it is printing on to)

Printer (model of printer used)

RIP (which computer is driving the printer used)

Source 

Destination

ICC Profile (Name of ICC profile that describes the colourspace)

MX4 (Propriatory file that describes a transformation between 2 colourspaces)

TAC 

There are about 50 proofing workflows across 4 different RIPs driving 7 different printers. Some workflows are called the same as the colourspace but others are not. Workflows are replicated across different RIPs and printers but sometimes use different media. I have a Numbers spreadsheet that lists all of this but I would also like to incorporate the MX4 files into this database. It gets tricky here so I need to give examples. There are an infinite amount of different printing specs so I am going to choose 4 to illustrate the problem I have, they are:

ISO27L

ISO39L

ISO41L

ISO47L

The MX4 files can take a PDF that is correct in one print spec and convert it so that it looks correct in another, so from ISO39L to ISO41L. I would like to be able to carry out a search of this database by typing in ISO41L for example and be able to see everywhere ISO41L is used in my workflow eg

ISO4L workflow on RIP 1 printing on Epson 4900 using matt paper

ISO4L workflow on RIP 2 printing on Epson 4900 using semi-matte paper 

MX4 file converting ISO39L to ISO41L

MX4 file converting from ISO41L to ISO47L

etc etc

Is Filemaker the software I need for this? If so how do I go about building it?

Outcomes