AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extremely basic FIND question

Question asked by LarryM1 on Feb 2, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 by LarryM1

Title

Extremely basic FIND question

I've recently switched from Access and moved over to FileMaker, but I'm having an unbelieveable problem with the FIND procedure. I'm trying to find all records where the person's name begins with a letter from A-M. I started with the most logical thing I could think of, namely <N in the find field, but it simply doesn't work. It selects virtually every record in the database, and there seems to be no pattern whatever to the results. Maybe it's finding every case when the letter "N" appears anywhere in the field???

I've tried other variatons on the theme - with quotes, without quotes, with an asterisk after the N. Nothing works. This seems to be one of the most basic possible things to do with any database, yet I can't do it and it's driving me nuts. I have searched high and low in the help file and pored through two different editions of the Missing Manual for FileMaker. Everything leads me to believe that a simple <N search would find everything that begins with A-M, but it doesn't. (And the field I'm searching is nothing special - a plain vanilla text field.)

What in the world am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

Outcomes