5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 10:03 AM by philmodjunk

F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?

paul350passaic

Title

F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/5e987fa55f?page=2

Hi Philmodjunk. Follow up with your suggestion for "Editing record access privileges". I tried using the calculation "Record_creation_date = Get(AccountName)" to set privileges so that only specific record created by that user can be viewed. 

but I got lost on the part where it says use the following calculation when defining the custom record privileges... what I did was I set a field for automatic accountname, then I went to security to set Privilege> then created new>records then i selected custom priv. >select the table then under set privileges: view, I chose Limited then enter the "Record_creation_date = Get(AccountName)" calculation. I used it to one of the account. But I’m getting an error saying, "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action." when logging in and cant even access the database. I mean its completely blocked to view the database. Another roadblock for me. 

is there another parameter I need to check or allow under that same table for access privilege? Please help :) thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?
          philmodjunk

I tried using the calculation "Record_creation_date = Get(AccountName)" to set privileges so that only specific record created by that user can be viewed.

How's that again? You need a text field that auto-enters the creator's account (not the user) name. Is that what you did? Seems strange to name that as Record_creation_DATE, but maybe that's a typo on your part?

But I’m getting an error saying, "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action." when logging in and cant even access the database. I mean its completely blocked to view the database

Unfortunately, there's not enough detail here for me to tell why you ar getting that error message. Are you able to get the file open with a full access password? If so, some screen shots of the dialogs where you set up these settings in Manage | Security might be helpful.

• 2. Re: F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?
            paul350passaic

Hi Philmodjunk, That was a typo. sorry about that. its Record_Creation_By = Get(AcountName). I used Automatic Data Entry field for account name and link the "Records_Creation_By"

For the second part. I Can open the database with full access or admin account. But the account that was supposedly be set to limit only to those they crated was unable to open the database. 

I set a field for automatic data entry named "Records_Created_By" and used Auto enter Account Name to it. Then in privilege set I clicked new and under Data Access and Design I changed the "records" then set the View of the Time Card Table to Limited and used Record_creation_By = Get(AcountName) calculation and used it on one of the account. 

• 3. Re: F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?
              philmodjunk

Try setting the Field Access menu to "yes".

• 4. Re: F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?
                paul350passaic

Thanks again PhilmodJunk for the reply. I think I'm getting there. I did what you suggested. I set the Field Access to "all" (no option for yes) and set the other parameter (layouts, Value List and scripts) to "All modifiable". I was able to access the database (using the account with limitations) with records only showing those created by account name. Although the records itself created by the other user name shows but with empty fields (see the image bellow). So in short. if the current user go to the next or previous page, they will see the records but with empty fields unless otherwise the next or previous page was their record.

• 5. Re: F/UP: Can Filemaker be used to create an Employee Time Sheet?
                  philmodjunk

and set the other parameter (layouts, Value List and scripts) to "All modifiable".

Don't see why you would want to do that.

To hide "no access" records, perform a find. You can perform any find--even one with criteria that should find all records such as one that puts a "*" in a field that is never empty of data. The resulting found set will automatically filter out the "no access" records.

You can set up a script to perform such finds when you first open the file or when you first enter a specific layout.

Then, the only way a user will see "no access" is if they choose either Show All Records or Show Omitted Only from the Records menu. If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can then either remove these menu options or replace the action performed when they are selected with scripts of your own design that keep the No Access records omitted from your found set.