3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 12:18 PM by philmodjunk

Faster way to add multiple contacts to group than clicking individually

DanCowell

Title

Faster way to add multiple contacts to group than clicking individually

I'm using the email campaign starter solution to send out an email campaign to a few hundred contacts at a time.  I've done one mailout but i had to add each contact to a group one by one clicking on the red arrow to set the group up.  This took an absurd amount of time, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I tried shift-clicking the red arrows in the hopes of selecting multiple records to add to the group, dragging a box around the contacts and a number of other things.  None of these worked.  It isn't practical for me to add these contacts manually for future campaigns and surely there must be a way of doing more than one at a time.  It isn't feasible to do all of them (as I don't want all the contacts in one group) but anything to just be able to select a series of contacts would be fantastic.

• 1. Re: Faster way to add multiple contacts to group than clicking individually
          philmodjunk

It's possible, but you'd need to modify the design of your database to implement the change. Are you up for that? (Do you know how to write scripts and create new layouts?)

• 2. Re: Faster way to add multiple contacts to group than clicking individually
            DanCowell

I ended up writing a PHP script which takes a text file with fields and a CSV file with column headers and does the merge that way.  Took half an hour and is a lot more flexible than Filemaker.

Unfortunately the boss has a thing for Filemaker and has told me to find a solution for this. Coming from a programming background I'm finding Filemaker's scripting to be limited and clunky at best, is there any way to get away from the "graphical script builder" for want of a better word and dive straight into the code that makes it work?

• 3. Re: Faster way to add multiple contacts to group than clicking individually
              philmodjunk

We've been asking for that (Text based script editor) for about 10 years or so...

From that background it shouldn't be that hard to set up. You would need to set up a layout that lists the contacts with an added selection field formatted with a single value check box. You pull up the list on this layout (can be a small floating window) and click the check boxes you want to add to the currently selected group.

Clicking a button can then perform a find for all such "marked records" and your script can then add them all to the group. I don't have that file open before me to see all the details, but it probably requires looping through the found records and creating a new matching record in a join table used to record group membership.