4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 7:45 AM by philmodjunk

Festival volunteer database in need of upgrade

JulieRockcastle

Title

Festival volunteer database in need of upgrade

We manage 700 volunteers for a once a year event. For years Filemaker 6 has been working well for collecting volunteer data with our many useful layouts  (we have 13,000 records collected over 20 years).  BUT we have part of our scheduling layouts in Excel and part in Filemaker. These two functions need to all be in one place!!!! Is it possible to import our 20+ Excel scheduling layouts intact into Filemaker? Can anyone direct us to a demo or tutorial for scheduling people in Filmaker? What new software do we need? We are set up with a server and multiple work stations (6), all macs 10.3.8 and above. Thanks!!!!

• 1. Re: Festival volunteer database in need of upgrade
          philmodjunk

If you download the free 30 day trial copy of Filemaker 11, it comes with an event manager you may want to examine to see if it has anything that meets your needs. It may not serve "out of the box" but may provide some approaches that can be adapted to your existing database.

A filemaker 6 system can be converted to 11 format and you can try this out with your trial copy. It will likely need additional changes after conversion before it is fully funcitonal. See this knowledgebase for more on the subject:  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/kw/converting

You can't import the Excel Layouts, but you can import the Data and create a new table at the same time, and if you have the first row set up as column headings, the column headings can become the names of the fields thus created.

• 2. Re: Festival volunteer database in need of upgrade
            JulieRockcastle

I did some reading on the Filemaker site today and I am downloading the trial now. Will Filemaker 11 be all I need for my server mac (in the closet) and 5-6 macs around our home office? Or do I need to buy extra licenses on top of the $299 price.

• 3. Re: Festival volunteer database in need of upgrade
              JulieRockcastle

Alos, will Filemaker 11 run on my Apple laptop with 10.3.8?  I got the trial version and opened my version 6 just fine on a 10.5.8 mac, seems to be all intact as before.

I'm not finding any info on Event Manager in the Help menu. Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Festival volunteer database in need of upgrade
                philmodjunk

Will Filemaker 11 be all I need for my server mac (in the closet) and 5-6 macs around our home office? Or do I need to buy extra licenses on top of the $299 price.

Just like with FileMaker 6, you will need to either install different copies with different Install codes on each machine, or you will need to purchase a volume license. (The volume license may be cheaper so research the pricing.)

A copy of FileMaker 11 can host your files and support up to 9 simultaneous connections from FileMaker clients. If you need more capability than that, you will need to purchase a copy of FileMaker server. If you decide to go that route, research the hardware/OS requirements for that product to make sure that your current server will not also need an upgrade to support it. The Knowledge Base (See link at top of this screen) has articles with the system requirements for both FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server.

You may also want to purchase a single copy of FileMaker Advanced. The script debugger and database design reports can save you many hours of frustration when you need to figure out why a script isn't producing the expected results.

I'm not finding any info on Event Manager in the Help menu.

Select "new from starter solution..." then Select Event Manqager. This is one of many template files that comes with FileMaker 11.