2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2013 8:30 AM by philmodjunk

field calculation by group

SandyHaaf

Title

field calculation by group

I have a field 'count' that is a summary field count of with running total (I've tried both with & w/o the group feature) of  a timestamp (if doesn't really matter, I'm just trying to get the record count).   Then I have a field timeelapsed  calculation, that multiples count * 3 (this gets me the number of minutes something is working).

In the script that runs the report, perform find is selecting records based on certain criteria.  This part works.

The layout (report) is grouped by name and then by month.  What I want is the number of records (count) * 3 for each of those groups.

What I get if a good count for each group.  But the timeelapsed field (which is what I really need) - only give me the grand total (of count) * 3 for all groups.

Help!

I still can't believe that Filemaker Pro doesn't allow calculations on its reports.  This seems like such a necessary and difficult thing for me to get by without.  My table is getting soooooo huge b/c I need a field for every little calculation.

Sorry, I'm frustrated.

Sandy

• 1. Re: field calculation by group
          GuyStevens

I don't really understand what it is you are trying to do. But have you ever used subsummary parts in your layout?

These can be used to group data and show sub totals etc.

Might be interesting for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to sort the records on the sub summary field(s)

And this works mainly in a list view.

Also: put your summary field in the sub summary part.

• 2. Re: field calculation by group
            philmodjunk

Take a look at using the SubSummary function. It accesses the same sub total produced by a sub summary layout part so that you can use that sub total in a calculation. You may need to use a summary field that is not defined as a running total summary field to get the results that you want.