3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2008 12:01 PM by TSGal

Field control for page id

spfindlay

Title

Field control for page id

I want to create a field control in a tab which uses a calculation to display information from a different table. If i create say, a contacts database, and i have a field which gives each contact a preset id so i already have 1000 pages with set id numbers, I then have in the layout a tab control and on each tab i want to display a field which is a calculation stating that i want to display all information from a specific field that has the same name as the page id while still being able to input new information directly into the root field from the field control edit box. I thought i could have used a calculation like : GetField (tablename:: (tablename::ID) ) as i am specifing the table i want the information from and replacing the field name with the ID number of the current page i am on however this does not work. Anyone got any ideas as to how i can do this?

• 1. Re: Field control for page id
          TSGal

spfindlay:

Thank you for your post.

You are on the right track, but you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. 

Assuming the two tables are already linked by the ID field and there is a one-to-one relationship, just put the field from the related table into the tab control.  That is, go into Layout Mode (View menu), select the appropriate tab control, grab the Field tool (left side of window), and drag it into the tab control area and let go.  The field dialog box appears with fields from the current table.  Change the pop-up from "Current Table" to the related table, and select the field you want to display.

If there is a one-to-many relationship, then instead of dragging in the Field tool, use the Portal tool (just below the oval tool), and draw the portal size in the tab area and include the field(s).  This will then list the "many" entries.

Let me know if you need clarification for the any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Field control for page id
            spfindlay

Hi TSGal,

That solution works for some of the functions i want to do but not for all. What i am trying to do is set 3 separate fields within a tab, one listing places visited, one listing dates visited and a third which i want to display guests with that person on the same date through a similar travel dates calculation. As there will be multiple entries for each contact in the database and there needs to be a calculation for each date i can't think of another way around this without having a separate field linked to each page of the guest contact listing i have set up.

• 3. Re: Field control for page id
              TSGal

spfindlay:

What kind of calculation are you using for the date, and what isn't working?  Can you give me an example?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.