4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 12:52 PM by RossMillard

Field corrupted

RossMillard

Title

Field corrupted

Question

First, moderately heavy user for many years. Built bunch of databases, some fairly but not way out complex. Haven't built databases in about 6 to 8 years now. Latest version 7.0.1. want to clean up a problem and move to latest version.

Problem

Have a Recipe data base

It contains title & ingredients at top

Instructions at the bottom… this field is called Method and is the problem.

Somehow the Method field has been contaminated and carries the same instructions for every recipe. I am hoping I can change the

characteristics of that field so it picks up the methods associated with each recipe again … and that the data base has not been corrupted and all 300 recipes still have their associated instructions.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Ross Millard

• 1. Re: Field corrupted
          philmodjunk

There are several issues you can check.

If global storage has been specified for this field, then you only have one method for all your recipes and the other "methods" have been lost. Only hope is if you have a back up copy where this was not the case. You can check the settings for this field in define fields to see if it is a global field (You'll see "global" listed after it if it is.)

If you have a layout that displays data from more than one table, You "method" field could be from a related table via a relationship that matches to all records in the table where you have defined the method field. If so, you are in good shape and can just fix this layout to refer to the correct table occurrence or fix the relationship.

The databse may indeed be corrupted. Open Filemaker without opening the file and run recover on it to see what is reported and then check the reovered copy to see if this issue was changed.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Field corrupted
            RossMillard

Thanks for the quick reply.

In Define Fields .. it shows as Text and Indexed. In Relationships, just a single  Table. Ran recover, it asked for the file, so I Recovered it... opened it and it did not help.. Same condition.

It appeared several months ago when I printed one recipe. After the printing. all recipes showed the "Method" from that recipe in all recipes.

I'm just hoping something got set that can then be reset and all methos returned.

My backups may contain a backup beyond the 'corruption' but I'd like to first satisfy any possibility to reset or change something to fix it.

• 3. Re: Field corrupted
              philmodjunk

What we don't know is if the value was changed in some way or if the layout is failing to properly display this field from the correct related table. If the value in the field was changed, then your only option is to revert to the back up copy.

How exactly did you print? From a script or by selecting Print from the File menu?

If you used a script, you need to examine that script to see if there is a replace fields step in it that is responsible for this issue. If there is, you need to revert to your back up and also to fix this script.

• 4. Re: Field corrupted
                RossMillard

It'll be a day or so till I can get the backup... hopefully. I'post results them

Phil... many thanks for your help. Ross