12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 2:29 PM by user1145

Field display issue using a Popup Menu

user1145

Title

Field display issue using a Popup Menu

I have encountered a problem that I can't explain or work around.

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 13. 

I have a global field on a table (glbClients).  I also have a value list (Client Code and Name) that displays the Client Code as the first field and the Client name as the second field.

I have a layout based on the Client table.  On this layout, I am displaying the glbClients Field with a Popup Menu that uses the "Client Code and Name" value list.

There is a On Modify script trigger on the glbClient field that runs a script that finds the appropriate client code.

The problem:

The Global field with the Popup Menu is not always displaying correctly.  Sometimes (not always), it is also showing part of the Client Name (the second field in the value list). 

The value being stored in the glbClients field is correct and the trigger is working properly. 

This is only happening on the glbClients field that has the Popup Menu on it.

I placed the glbClients field on the same layout as an edit box and it is displaying correctly.

I have attached a snapshot of what I am seeing.

Thanks for your help!

Popup_Display_Issue.jpg

• 1. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
          philmodjunk

Check your settings in Manage | Value Lists to see which fields are selected to be visible in the value list. Personally, I'd set it up to hide the ID number and only show the client name.

• 2. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
            user1145

Sorry if I didn't explain the problem correctly.

The Client Code and Client Name are both set to be Visible.  The Client Code isn't an ID, but a Code used by the users to quickly identify a client.  The design calls for both fields to be displayed on the popup menu.  The Value List is displaying everything properly. 

This incorrect display is on the glbClients field that has the popup menu on it.

The problem is the display of the glbClients field on the layout is inconsistent when the popup menu is used.  The field displays properly for about 2/3rds of the clients chosen, and displays incorrectly for the remainder. 

The same field on the same layout displays correctly all the time as an edit box.

The picture above is two different snapshots of the same layout.

The top picture shows where the "SMS" client code and the "Test 1" client name are both showing up in the glbClients field that has the popup menu on it.  The same glbClients field as an edit box is displayed to the right of it.

The bottom picture shows where the "NNM" client code is only showing on both fields.

• 3. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
              philmodjunk

I see no pictures in your posts. Did you upload image files of the correct file type using the "upload an image" controls below Post a New Answer?

• 4. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                user1145

Hmm, strange.  I can see the screen shot in my posting.  I uploaded a jpg using the Upload an image.

Here it is again.  Please let me know if you can see it now.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                  philmodjunk

I can see the images in your last post but not the original.

I also have a value list (Client Code and Name) that displays the Client Code as the first field and the Client name as the second field.

What options for showing/hiding fields did you select for this value list in Manage | Value lists? Are both selected to be visible?

This statement puzzles me:

There is a On Modify script trigger on the glbClient field that runs a script that finds the appropriate client code.

Since the Client Code is automatically entered when you select from the value list that you described, As you have indicated that Client Code is specified as the first field in your value list. Perhaps you mean "Client ID" is found by that script?

Does a Client Code Identify a single client or a group of clients? It would appear that each client code is unique to a given client, but I'd like to be sure of that...

• 6. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                    user1145

For the value list in Manage | Value lists, I have:

First Field: ClientCode

Second Field: ClientName

Include all values, sort values using first field

The Popup Menu populates the glbClients Field with the first field in the value list (ClientCode).

The OnModify Trigger on the glbClients field on the layout, fires and looks up the Client Code by saving the glbClients value in a variable, then executing a Find [Clients::ClientCode = $VARIABLE]

I am not attempting to change the ClientCode on the client that is being viewed.  I am changing which ClientCode and other client information that is being displayed (essentially, I am changing client records).  I've used this technique successfully in filemaker 11.  I am now using filemaker 13 and have never seen it behave like this.

Client Code identifies a single client.

If you have time, I could do a go to assist session with you and share my window to show you what I'm seeing. 

• 7. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                      philmodjunk

sort values using first field

Tells me that you did not select the "Show only values from Second Field" option.

With the options that you have selected, I would expect to see both the Client Code and the Client Name appear in this field. You might be resizing the field to hide the second value, but I would expect both to be there if the field were wide enough to show more than the client code letters. Thus simple appearance settings such as font size, field width and padding--as well as the number and width of the characters that make up clientCode can affect whether you see the data from one field or both in your field.

I recommend that you use a drop down list instead of a pop up menu for this field.

• 8. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                        user1145

Hmm, I'm still not explaining it well...sorry.

The Popup Menu list show both value list fields properly and as expected.  When using value lists that display 2 fields, only the first field is to be actually populated in the layout field.  That is what is happening...only the first field is actually being populated in glbClientCode.

The problem is the display of the glbClientCode field.

After choosing an item from either a popup menu list, the glbClientCode displays with both of the fields which is not what is actually stored in the glbClientCode field.  I know this because I put the glbClientCode field on the layout again, but made it an edit box.  When I change the glbClientCode via popup menu, the edit box glbClientCode displays properly.

I can send you the files if you'd like to see them.  I've removed all of the private data from the files.

• 9. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                          user1145

Here is the Value list setup.  Only the first field should be populated in the field, which is what is actually happening (proved by the display of the same field as an edit box), but the field on the layout using the popup menu displays with both fields from the popup menu.

• 10. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                            user1145

Sorry...correction, the behavior using a drop down list is not displaying the Code and Name, it only displays the code.

Looks like it is a bug only with Popup Menus.

• 11. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                              philmodjunk

It is not a bug. The pop up menu is doing exactly what you set it up to do. But this is something where pop up menus and drop down lists differ in how they work. Normally, most users are asking for drop down lists to work like pop up menus as this difference is how one can keep the first field value that was entered into the field from being visible. Your post illustrates what I must assume is the reason why popup menus and drop down lists have been set up with this difference in behavior.

Take a look at this screen shot from a Filemaker 11 database:

There are 7 copies of the same text field, 3 formatted as pop up menus, 3 as drop down lists and 1 as an edit box. The only difference between one pop up menu and another is the width of the field.

You may examine the file for yourself if you need to:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/PopupvsDropDownDemo.fp7

• 12. Re: Field display issue using a Popup Menu
                                user1145

Wow....Thanks!!  I was pulling my hair out  trying to figure it out. 

Thanks for your patience explaining it.  smiley