5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 1:20 PM by philmodjunk

Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted

CourtneyTran

Title

Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted

I have a layout with fields that are linked to a portal table via contact ID number.

Whenever I create a new record and insert the data and the corresponding contact's ID number, everything I just typed in will disappear from that field once I am done typing in it and I click outside of it.

The data, however, DOES appear in the portal table I put in another layout.

Why is this happening? How do I stop it from happening?

• 1. Re: Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted
          philmodjunk

Am I correct that this field is inside the row of a portal?

Is there a portal filter expression?

If so, the portal filter may be excluding the record from the portal.

• 2. Re: Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted
            CourtneyTran

Yes, you are correct that this is a field inside the row of a portal.

I did not create a portal filter expression- I do not know what that is haha!

• 3. Re: Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted
              CourtneyTran

Okay, I just checked. The portal records are not filtered. I did not checkbox that selection when I created the portal.

• 4. Re: Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted
                CourtneyTran

The data will appear in the portal row but when I go to the layout that it was drawn from to the corresponding record, those fields are empty.

I just noticed something:

When I create a new record and input an ID that already exists, this is the only time it will do this.

So for example, if I created a new record and in the ID field, put 1157 (a record that already exists), the the data I input will then appear in the corresponding portal table with under the contact's record whom has the matching ID number, BUT then that data will not appear in the fields of the layout once I click outside the field after data entry.

However, if I created a new record and entered in a new ID number for a contact that does not already exist/have a contact ID, the data will stay in the fields after entry and also appear in that person's newly-created record in their portal table.

Am I being specific enough? frown

• 5. Re: Field Does Not Retain Data Inputted
                  philmodjunk

Then you need to describe the relationship on which this portal is based and the design of your layout.

Also, have you set up any script triggers? Perhaps a script, which could be performed by the OnRecordCommit trigger that is tripped when you click the layout background, is altering the data in the layout's match field, going to a different record or creating a new record--any of which would cause the record to disappear from the portal.