Fields cannot be set to expand, but--when printing--they can be set to shrink and slide up.
Often, you need a special layout just for printing if there's a lot of variation in the amount of data entered into the field from one record to the other. A "browse" layout can include a scroll bar on the text fields, on your "print" layout, you can resize the fields to be very large, then use the inspector to set the fields to slide up and to "resize enclosing part".
Key facts about sliding:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below a slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Only objects in the body will slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
Thanks Phill that works well.