5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 4:22 PM by philmodjunk

Field format drops when exported to Excel

JeanAnneMayhall

Title

Field format drops when exported to Excel

Filemaker 13
      Fields styled as ALL CAPS lose that formatting when exported to xls or xlsx.
      The field content reverts to as-entered when exported.

We sell pet collar tags and need to export the pet name as all caps.  It is keyboard-entered in various ways: lower case, initial caps, etc.

Is there a work-around for this?

Thank you 

• 1. Re: Field format drops when exported to Excel
          philmodjunk

When exporting, did you select the "Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data"?

If that doesn't work, you could define this auto-enter calculation to automatically replace newly entered text with an all caps version of the same:

Upper ( self ) // clear the "do not replace existing value" check box

You can also use the upper function to change the text in all your existing records to upper case if you use it with the Replace Field Contents tool.

• 2. Re: Field format drops when exported to Excel
            JeanAnneMayhall

When exporting, did you select the "Apply current layout's data formatting to exported data"?  YES

If that doesn't work, you could define this auto-enter calculation to automatically replace newly entered text with an all caps version of the same:

Upper ( self ) // clear the "do not replace existing value" check box

Currently this is the process:  > Layout>Select Field>Inspector>Text Styles> All Caps. This works great.  The problem is that when exported into Excel, the all caps reverts to original entry.

Are you saying your calculation will fix the export issue?

You can also use the upper function to change the text in all your existing records to upper case if you use it with the Replace Field Contents tool.

• 3. Re: Field format drops when exported to Excel
              philmodjunk

Yes, the auto-enter calculation will cause the data to be stored in All Caps for all new records and newly edited records. Use the same function with replace field contents to update this text in all your existing records.

• 4. Re: Field format drops when exported to Excel
                JeanAnneMayhall

OK....I have no problem with auto formatted fonts in new records, old records or replaced field contents.
                Again, it is ONLY when I export the formatted field that I am having trouble.

Maybe the more succinct question is this:
                If a field font has been formatted to appear a certain way (IE: ALL CAPS) in FM, will that format be carried through to other software when the field is exported?

So far, regardless of how I auto enter the formatting, the exported field does NOT retail the formatting set in Filemaker when viewed in other software, such as Excel.

• 5. Re: Field format drops when exported to Excel
                  philmodjunk

I get the same results that you do when I try this export.

I am suggesting a way to get the data into a form where you can export it as you want to export it. It is because of the issues you are encountering that I am making this suggestion.