6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 9:02 AM by philmodjunk

Field in Portal row not populating

webstyr

Title

Field in Portal row not populating

I have a Portal in a layout for the PO table.

The portal is looking at items in the PO_LINE_ITEMS table. The PO_LINE_ITEMS row in the portal is pulling items from the PRODUCTS table. Here is the relationships for these three tables:

I have verified that all relationships are correct and that there is data in all fields in the PRODUCTS table.

The Description field in the T24_po_LINE_ITEMS||id_PO| table has a lookup for the value Starting with table T24_po_LINE_ITEM||id_PO|, Lookup from related table T24_po_Line_item_PRODUCTS||id_product| and is Copying value from field Item_Name. If that field is empty or if no exact match it won't copy contents.

In the portal I have a Value List attached to the Item_Number field which lists all the items in the PRODUCTS table using both Item_Number and Item_Name fields.

In the portal I have the Description field (see above) next to the Item_Number field. Based on how I set the Description field up in the database I think it should be populated in the portal with the contents of the PRODUCTS::Item_Name field. 

Here is my problem. The Description field in the portal is not being populated by the contents of the PRODUCTS::Item_Name field once I select an item using the drop down list for Item_Number. The question I have is why not?

• 1. Re: Field in Portal row not populating
          philmodjunk

Are id_product and ID Product both the same data type? (both text or both number?)

The looked up value refers to T24_po_Line_Item_PRODUCTS||id_product| and not some other table occurrence of the products table?

One test to check for a valid relationship would be to temporarily add the name field from the products table to your portal to see if the name field is displayed. If it is displayed, your relationship is valid, something is not set up correctly with the looked up value field option. If it is not displayed, your relationship has a problem.

• 2. Re: Field in Portal row not populating
            webstyr

id_product is text and id_Product is also text.

The looked up value refers to the T24_po_Line_Item_PRODUCTS||id_product| occurrence of the PRODUCTS table, which uses the id_product field as a key to relate it to the T24_pos_PO_LINE_ITEMS||id_PO| occurrence of the PO_LINE_ITEMS table, which uses the id_PO field as a key to relate it to the T24_POS occurrence of the POS table.

I dropped in a field from T24_po_Line_Item_PRODUCTS||id_product| into the portal and the field showed up, but nothing displayed in it. I then tried the same thing in another layout and portal set up for Estimates which accesses the same PRODUCTS table. It worked great. The field displayed as well as its contents.

I looked at the relationships in the Estimates tables to compare them with the relationships in the PO tables. They are the same, except for one is for Estimates and one is for PO. Here is an expanded view of the relationship between T24_pos_PO_LINE_ITEMS||id_PO| and T24_po_Line_Item_PRODUCTS||id_product|.

I then compared the lookup for the Description field in both areas. They are also the same.

For the life of me I can't see anything wrong with this.

• 3. Re: Field in Portal row not populating
              webstyr

One other thing. None of the other fields are populating either. They are using the same lookup data as the Description field is using.

• 4. Re: Field in Portal row not populating
                philmodjunk

I dropped in a field from T24_po_Line_Item_PRODUCTS||id_product| into the portal and the field showed up, but nothing displayed in it.

For me, that's a very key sentence in all of the above. If the field correctly displayed the name, I'd look at the looked up value settings to see what isn't working there. The blank field from products indicates that the problem is more likely with the relationship as currently defined or with the data in the actual match fields defined in these two tables. Something as simple as an extra space in the field of one table will keep that record from matching like it should to a record in the other table.

Don't know that this is exactly the issue, just listing things I would check if I had a copy of this file in front of me.

• 5. Re: Field in Portal row not populating
                  webstyr

I figured it out finally. I created a new relationship between T24_pos_PO_LINE_ITEMS||id_PO| and T24_po_Line_Item_PRODUCTS||Item_Name| using Item_Name as the key. After that everything worked just fine.

Thanks again Phil for all your help. I really appreciate it!

• 6. Re: Field in Portal row not populating
                    philmodjunk

Shouldn't need to do that. The original relationship based on the product number should work for this. You may have solved the immediate issue, but the fact that the original setup didn't work indicates you may have another problem with your database.