6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 3:40 PM by jebber6685

Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator

jebber6685

Title

Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator

I have an unusual portal pdf printing situation.

I have a Portal that contains fields from my Contacts DB. The fields are Name, Title, Phone, Email in that order from left to right in the Portal.

In the browse mode, everthing looks great. All contents of the fields are their. When I print the record to the internal PDF generator, everything prints fine excpe that the far left field ( Name in this case ) does not print and all the other fields appear to slide to the left.

I did the following things to try and isolate the problem;

1) Printed the record to another PDF creator. It did the same thing, so this confirmed that it is probably not the FileMaker internal PDF creator.

2) In layout mode, I slide the portal to the side leaving the fields in place. Those fields without the Portal printed to PDF just fine. This tells me that has something to do with the Portal

3) With the Portal back in place, I moved the Email field out of the way and replaced it with a copy of the Name field that does not print. I then printed to PDF. The far left Name field did not print, everything slide over to left and the Name field that was copied and put in place of the email field printed fine. This tells me that it has something to do do with the left position within the portal.

4) I wanted to confirm that it did not have anything to do with THAT field. So I switched the Name field and the Title field such that the Title field is now in that far left position. I created a PDF and the far left title field did not print either. So this definitely confirms that it has something to do with that far left position within the portal.

What could be happening here???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have FMPro Advanced 10.0 v3

OS - Windows 7

• 1. Re: Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator
          philmodjunk

Open layout setup... and check the printing tab. Any margins defined?

What's odd here, is that margin setting issues usually clip stuff from the right hand side of the layout.

The layout itself could be damaged. Try making a new layout for this report and see if it shows the same issue.

• 2. Re: Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator
            jebber6685

Ok, I figured out what was going on.......

I had 2 non printing fields to the left of the name field in another Layout that I copied the portal with fields from. But in this new layout, I deleted those 2 non printing fields to the left and then slide all the other remaining fields ( Name, Title, Phone, etc ) to the left.

It appears that the portal somehow kept the non printing command for that area of the portal and any field that as then slide to the left in that area would also be considered non printing even though this was not intentional.

I recoppied the entire portal like before, but this time I removed the none printing aspect of the 2 fields on the left before I deleted them and slid everything to the left.

This solved the problem !!! It looks like there could be a flaw in the portal.

• 3. Re: Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator
              philmodjunk

When you copy and paste layout objects, their properties are retained.

• 4. Re: Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator
                jebber6685

Wow, that seems like a major flaw in that you cannot see the area that still retains the previous properties.

What is more unusual is that I deleted the fields but the spot where they were in the portal appears to have retained the properties. Not good!

• 5. Re: Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator
                  philmodjunk

Actually, one of the main reasons you copy and paste objects is so that you don't have to respecify their properties. You can, for example, set up a row of buttons and then use copy and paste to put all these buttons on multiple layouts for a consistent interface design. The scripts, conditional formatting, etc. all copy along with the buttons--saving time and insuring a consistent function.

I deleted the fields but the spot where they were in the portal appears to have retained the properties. Not good!

Definitely not good, but I think you've got something else going on here. One of the reasons I didn't think of objects being set to do not print is the fact that you appeared to be putting different objects in the same place and they didn't print either.

You might want to upload a copy of your file (Upload a clone, we don't need the data in it.) and then post the download link here so others can examine the file.

• 6. Re: Field in Portal will not Print to PDF Generator
                    jebber6685

Phil,

Thanks for assisting.

I already deleted the nonworking portal.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff