4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 9:37 AM by janslort

Field Mapping

janslort

Title

Field Mapping

Hello All:

I use FMP11Advanced.  I have a solution which I give my clients.  In order to import their data I must map their fields to mine.  This has been a tedious and time consuming task and requires most of the time I spend installing my solution.  If I could print a list of my field names to send them in advance, they could do some of this work before the install date.  Asking them to send me their list is also an option, but fraught with all the problems of getting a new prospective client to initiate an action before my first visit. 

Any help for this bugaboo?

Jan Slort

• 1. Re: Field Mapping
          philmodjunk

Have them send you a clone (empty copy) of their file. That clone will then not only have all the fields listed for you in Manage | Database | Fields, but you'll also see what relationships link them.

Use that copy to construct a script that imports the data from their file into yours. This script can actually be set up so that you click a button, select a file from the dialog that pops up and then the script imports all of the data from their file into your new version without any further input from you.

• 2. Re: Field Mapping
            janslort

Phil:

Sorry, I was unclear as to what files I'm talking about. The clients are using all kinds of programs such as Quick Books, excel, peach tree, whatever. They want my solution instead. How can I get a list of my field names (modified for better understanding) printed so they could pair theirs to mine? I'm cool on FM files, they are easy. 

Jan

• 3. Re: Field Mapping
              philmodjunk

With FileMaker advanced, you might be able to extract a portion of the database design report on your solution for this. You can also set up layouts for each table that contain all fields from that table that you can then print or PDF for sending out to your clients.

But from personal experience, I suspect that will only get you so far. The very fact that your clients are "using all kinds of programs such as Quick Books, excel, peach tree, whatever." means that their data will be structured in all kins of ways and your clients will neither understand the structure of your solution nor really understand the structure of their current system.

Analyzing their system in order to figure out how to move the data from one to the other is one of the services they should be paying you to provide and for which you should then be billing them for the time you spend doing this.

• 4. Re: Field Mapping
                janslort

Phil:

sounds good. I'll it janit jan