5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 3:17 PM by philmodjunk

Field Name list

DarrelFarah

Title

Field Name list

I am looking for a way to get a list of the field names that I can then use in a script.

I tried copying the list in the define data base but it did not work.  I am currently using fmp8 but will upgrade to 13 soon.

The best solution would create the list dynamically.

any ideas?

• 1. Re: Field Name list
          philmodjunk

Take a look at the FIeldNames function--which should work in FMP 8 as well as 13.

I produces a return separated list of all the field names located on a given layout.

• 2. Re: Field Name list
            DarrelFarah

that would be perfect if I didn't have to specify a layout as adding new fields to the file would require going back and adding them to the layout to be able to see them in the script.  I would like to make the script autonomous and not have to rework the layout if there is a change down the road.

This may be the only way to go about it though.

• 3. Re: Field Name list
              philmodjunk

Using the FileMaker 13 Field picker, you can add all fields for a given table to your layout pretty quickly.

You can click the first field in the picker, then shift click the last field listed before doing a drag and drop to add all fields to the layout.

So the routine to update your layout after adding more fields might be:

Enter layout mode

ctrl-a (select All)

Delete

Click to open field picker and use it to add all fields to the layout.

• 4. Re: Field Name list
                DarrelFarah

nice. 

There must be a way to access the Table list of fields too eliminating having to remember to do this in the future.

• 5. Re: Field Name list
                  philmodjunk

Not as far as I know, which is why I suggested FieldNames. I suppose there might be a plug in that can do what you want.

Frankly, I've never needed such a list for any of my scripts and I speak as someone who started using FileMaker when it was a flat file with a version number of 2.5.