3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2010 9:37 AM by ninja

Field name use

LifeIsGood

Title

Field name use

I need to clean up my field names and remove ones I no longer use. How can you tell from your field list if that field is still in use.

• 1. Re: Field name use
          ninja

Howdy,

With FMP Advanced you can run a Design Report and it will show you what relationshps, layouts, calculations, value lists, etc. the field is used in.  If none, then you aren't using the field.  Note that this does not mean it doesn't have data in it.

Without advanced...it's a tedious search.  Make a copy of your dbase, delete the fields and check through your dbase.  If it is used in a calc or script, you should get a warning message to make sure you want to delete it.  If it is simply sitting on a layout somewhere, no message will appear.

• 2. Re: Field name use
            LifeIsGood

I have FileMaker Pro Advanced 9. So if there is data in an old layout that I am not referencing any more, it won't matter, will it.

• 3. Re: Field name use
              ninja

LifeIsGood wrote:

I have FileMaker Pro Advanced 9. So if there is data in an old layout that I am not referencing any more, it won't matter, will it.

It won't matter to Filemaker what data to keep or ditch unless your dbase needs it to function (script, calc, etc.).  The question is whether it matters to you or your business.  That's your call.

I, personally, would make a layout with the field(s) on it, do a find for those with stuff in them, and give a quick peruse through to make sure I'm not killing something important.  Backups are also a good idea for this as well.