1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 5:16 PM by marksealey

Field not accepting data in Portal

marksealey

Title

Field not accepting data in Portal

Haven't used Portals in a long while; now using FMP 12 Advanced.

Have set up a Portal to display records from a table with (I believe) the correct Relationship set (in Manage Databases).

The field in the Portal is visible in Layout Mode; but nothing shows in Browse… nothing shows to click on to display/allow editing of data in Portal.

What could I be doing wrong, please?

TIA!

• 1. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
          philmodjunk

A portal is based on a relationship linking two table occurrences in Manage | Database | Relationships. You then select one table occurrence in Layout Setup... | Show Records From and you select the other in Portal Setup | Show Related Records From. The relationship you specify and the options that you select for it  control the appearance and function of your basic portal. The records that appear in a portal can then be further controlled by any portal filter or portal sort order you specify in Portal Setup...

So the issue could lie with your layout setup, your portal setup, or the relationship you've defined. Since you have not shared any details about any fo these three key areas, I can only guess as to possible causes.

The most common issue is that if you want to create new records in the portal by entering data into the blank "add" row of the portal, you should enable the "allow creation of records via this relationship" option for the portal's table occurrence in the relationship linking the two table occurrences.

Another common issue is that the records may not be matching values by their specified match fields. This requires checking the data types of your match fields and comparing the actual data present in the match fields in order to identify and fix possible issues.

• 2. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
            marksealey

Phil,

Once again, you save the day!

Thanks so much…

That was it; I hadn't enabled those:

The most common issue is that if you want to create new records in the portal by entering data into the blank "add" row of the portal, you should enable the "allow creation of records via this relationship" option for the portal's table occurrence in the relationship linking the two table occurrences.

• 3. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
              marksealey

Phil,

Spoke too soon: I've got one of the portals working. But in another Layout - try as I might - I cannot get the related records to display.

Even though my settings mirror just what I have in the one that's working; and even though I'm 99% sure my relationships are correct, and match etc.

The second portal is meant to display a subset of data as described executed very differently Conditional Value List Question.

• 4. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                philmodjunk

I don't see the connection between that thread and what you are describing for your database in this thread. Once again, you have not described the relationships, layout and portal setup options that might explain why no records are appearing in your portal.

• 5. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                  marksealey

Phil,

No; you're right :-).

Would you be prepared to take a look at my file (<4MB) if I sent it to you and described what I want to do, please?

• 6. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                    philmodjunk

I'd prefer to read a description of what you have set up. Screen shots of manage | Database | Relationships, the relationship details dialog, Layout Setup and Portal Setup would all help shed light on this.

• 7. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                      marksealey

Phil,

Surely! Of course :-)

A composite of screengrabs attached: could we start there and you ask for any others to fill in what may be needed, please?

The Portal relationship in question (the one that's just not working) is between Subject 1 and Category 1 - both of which are fields in the Portal with - as far as I can see - the correct Table::field reference(s) set up.

One other useful fact: I can get the Subject 1 to display in the case of only the first record in the table! For others, clicking in either field in the portal has no effect.

Thanks very much.
                      • 8. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                        philmodjunk

Well you don't have a portal to subjects nor to Categories. You have a portal to join_clip_Subject and your layout is based on PressClippings.

In the dialog shown, enabling "Allow creation" for categories does not have any effect for the layout shown.

The fact that you have enabled "allow creation" for subjects in the relationship between subjects and Categories achieves nothing unless "allow creation" is also enabled for join_clip_subject in the PressClippings to join_clip_Subject relationship.

No data from categories will be visible in the portal unless there is also a linking record in join_clip_subject and no data from Subjects will be visible unless there is a linking record in both join_clip_Subject and also in Categories.

• 9. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                          marksealey

Phil,

Well you don't have a portal to subjects nor to Categories. You have a portal to join_clip_Subject I hope it's obvious from the composite grab that there are actually two Portals - side by side: one for Subjects and one for Categories?

The aim is to constrain what appears in Categories depending on what has been selected in Subject: hence my reference to Conditional Value List Question. That has been successfully set up in a Subjects table, where the Portal is working. See second composite grab

and your layout is based on PressClippings.

Which Layout? Shouldn't it be?

The fact that you have enabled "allow creation" for subjects in the relationship between subjects and Categories achieves nothing unless "allow creation" is also enabled for join_clip_subject in the PressClippings to join_clip_Subject relationship.
                               Yes, thanks; that is also set up that way. See second composite grab

No data from categories will be visible in the portal unless there is also a linking record in join_clip_subject and no data from Subjects will be visible unless there is a linking record in both join_clip_Subject and also in Categories.

I think I have set up that relationship correctly, haven't I? See second composite grab

Thanks again!

• 10. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                            philmodjunk

I don't know if your relationships are set up correctly or not as it is not fully clear to me what you are trying to accomplish with this data model and layout design.

What fields from what table occurences are you placing in this portal?

Are you trying to display existing records or add new ones in the portal?

• 11. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                              marksealey

Phil,

Sorry not to have been clear!

There are two green/yellow grabs:

1.           the 'Manage: Add/Edit Subjects' works. It's the 'administration', if you like, to add Categories, all children of each Subject.
                              3.           The other green/yellow ('Manage: Press Clips') is where things fail. It's supposed to display a Subject (parent) dropdown. On selection of one of the Subjects ('parent') in that field in the first portal, the child ('Categories') is supposed to be a constrained/conditional (sublist of) children. It has Subjects::Subject and Categores::SubjectCategory in the two individual portals

I do not need the 'Manage: Press Clips' Layout to be able to add records to either other table.

• 12. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                                philmodjunk

Let's see if I follow this as I'm still a bit puzzled. Now we have TWO portals? Both to join_clip_subject?

And you have placed the field Subjects::Subject in one and Categories::SubjectCategory in the other?

Why not one portal with both fields?

And you want to create a new record in join_clip_subject but link it to existing records in the Subjects and Categories tables?

If that's correct, there are definite issues with your design that need to be changed, but I need confirmation that I fully understand your design and what you are attempting to set up here.

Best guess at this point is that you should replace Categories::SubjectCategory with kf_Category_Subject_ID and that it should be formatted with a value list for selecting a category.

• 13. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                                  marksealey

Phil,

You can be forgiven for being puzzled: it's amazing that anyone can pick up what I'm trying to do this way - thanks very much!

It might be better if I described what I want to do, rather than what I've done so far.

Two Layouts. Two separate functions.

1.           In the 'admin' Layout the functionality is to add and delete Child records (presumably each single record has only one field - apart from an ID) as 'Categories', really sub-categories of Parent. Because one Parent (say clips about 'Exhibitions') can have multiple Children ('one-day exhibitions', 'free exhibitions', 'subscription exhibitions', 'touring exhibitions' etc), I opted for a Portal. That works perfectly.

3.           In the main clips display Layout (the wider one in my grabs) I need to be able to add these Parent and Child data to each Press Clip Record. But twice (see below). So a new clip comes in; it happens to be about a new 'touring exhibition'; so I select 'Exhibitions' from the Parent 1/Subject 1 dropdown/Value List (?), which immediately and unambiguously constrains the first, Child/Category, dropdown to just those records in the Child/'Categories' table which are associated with 'Exhibitions'. Similarly, I might have a Parent record in the 'Admin' table which is 'Education'; in the Portal for that record in the 'Admin' Layout, I display, for example, 'K-12', 'adult', 'voluntary', 'parents-and-students'. The equivalent process in the main clips display Layout is this: I get a clip pertaining to 'Education', I select 'Education' in the Subjects 1/Parent 1 dropdown and constrain its dropdown to: 'K-12', 'adult', 'voluntary' etc. I have successfully done that using Value Lists as described in that other thread. The trouble is this: I need to have two identical sets of Parent/Child (='Subject'/'Category') dropdowns. I saw a many-to-many relationship looming because, although I can get it working, the second pair of dropdowns seems only to be able to display the parent and constrained children of the first value selected. So, although I might actually get 'Education' selected in Subject 2/Parent 2, my Children 2/Categories 2 are those of whatever I selected in Subject 1/Parent 1 - e.g. 'Exhibitions'. Mismatched. Hence the use of (two) Portals. Which also seemed better database design anyway.
                                       I'm open to anything, Phil; thanks so much once again!
                                  • 14. Re: Field not accepting data in Portal
                                    philmodjunk

which immediately and unambiguously constrains the first, Child/Category, dropdown to just those records in the Child/'Categories' table which are associated with 'Exhibitions'

This is called a conditional value list. Do you know how to create them? (I have links I can share on the subject if you don't.)

That confirms my suggestion: "you should replace Categories::SubjectCategory with kf_Category_Subject_ID and that it should be formatted with a value list for selecting a category."

Am I correct that you want to be able to link a given "clipping" to up to two categories?

1 2 Previous Next