3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 11:29 AM by TSGal

Field Setup to Recall History

Gregx

Title

Field Setup to Recall History

Greetings,

In my FM9 video tape library database I have a "location" field that lets us know the current location of a video tape.
      I would like to adjust the field so I can view a record of the past 5 locations of a tape.
       It would show the history of where the tape has been including a date.
      Does anyone know how I can do this.
      Thanks,

Gregx

• 1. Re: Field Setup to Recall History
          blackcat795

Greg

There are a couple of ways to achive your requirements, however, just need to be little more specific.

1.Are tapes going out on regular loan?

2.By past 5 locations do you mean last 5 loans or last 5 physical storage locations?

Depending on your answers will lead us through to the best solution

Blackcat

• 2. Re: Field Setup to Recall History
            Gregx
               Greetings Blackcat,

Thank you for responding

Yes, the tapes are going out and coming in on a regular basis but I would not describe it as a "Loan" it would be a "physical location"
            All of our tapes in the database are barcoded. Each tape has it's own record in the database. I have barcode field in the database.
            When a tape needs to leave the tape vault I use a handheld barcode reader to scan the barcode and it pulls up the record for that tape. I then change the data in the "Location" field to reflect the new physical location such as "Edit Bay1" or "Edit Bay2" .
            When the tape returns to the vault the location is changed to "Tape Vault"
            The "Location" field only shows the current physical location. I am looking for a way to show a record of the last five physical locations, in addition to the current location.

Thanks 

Gregx

• 3. Re: Field Setup to Recall History
              TSGal

Gregx:

Thank you for your post.

You may want to consider having a separate table for the times a tape has been checked in/out.  That way, you can leave the main tape table intact, and then have a variable number of check-ins/check-outs.  You can then set up a portal to sort descending by check-out leaving the most recent check-out at the top of the list with the others following.  Does that make sense?

If you need help with setting up the portal, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.