6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 12:15 PM by MarcMcCall

Field validated by a value list

MarcMcCall

Title

Field validated by a value list

Hey guys,

I have a global field on T15_Products that I temporarily store ID_Product #'s in that auto enter replaces existing values by substituting " " with ¶.  On the layout, I have a portal based on the compatible join table, I have a script to create a new record that places the ID_Product in a field called ID_Product_Compatible_1.  I then use the numbers I placed in the global field in a field called ID_Product_Compatible_2 to make the relationship of campatible parts.  What I would like to do is make the ID_Product_Compatible_2 validated by a value list based on the global field during data entry only, to help me from making mistakes while typing in the numbers, but since it is a global field i am having trouble setting it up.  I have it set up as a global field so I can see the numbers I placed in it in all of the records in a performed search, after I create all of the related record for one part, I move to the next, and do the same for that part until I have created a relationship for all the parts that are compatible with each other, then perform a search for the next list of parts I want to relate then place all of thier ID #'s in the global field and begin the proccess of making the relationship of the compatible parts.

so any help setting this value list up will be greatly appreciated, and help me to prevent mistakes while enterint these #'s

• 1. Re: Field validated by a value list
          philmodjunk

Does it have to be a value list? That could be done, but you'd need to use one method or another to move the data into an indexed field. A non global field can be made available to multiple layouts via relationships that use the X operator instead of =.

On the other hand, this expression can confirm that the value in a field is also listed in your global field. It just doesn't use a value list:

IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( globalField ; Field ) )

The expression will be true if the value in field is not one of the return separated values in the global field.

• 2. Re: Field validated by a value list
            MarcMcCall

I would prefer to use the value list, I've tried moving it to an indexed field, but that also can't seem to get it right.  I made another accurance of products with th X ID_Product X ID_Product, but missing somthing somewhere..

What i would like the finnished result to be is the ID_Product_Compatible_2 in the portal be a popup menu so I can speed up the proccess and not have to type everything.

• 3. Re: Field validated by a value list
              philmodjunk

You could make your global field into a click list where clicking an item in the field adds it to your field.

For any methods that put the data into an indexed field, you'll need to consider whether your database is hosted over a network and if you might have two or more users doing the same task with different lists in the global field. Global fields support that by giving each user their own "virtual copy" of the field for their session, but once you go to a non-global field, you loose that feature and care must be taken to keep two or more users from tripping over each other's list of values in this field.

Here's one approach for single user environments:

Define a new table. Put your text field in it. Create just one record in this table.

Relate it to products using the X operator. You can use any fields you want on either side of the X operator.

Define your value list to take its values from this new field and place that field on the layout.

The way to make this work for multiple users is that you create a separate record for each user in this table and use an = relationship that matches by account or user name to a specific record. Your value list must then be defined as a conditional value list to list only the values from the user's record--not others.

• 4. Re: Field validated by a value list
                MarcMcCall

The file will only ever be used by me, it is just a utility program.  

Ok, I have the cross refference set up, and one record created.

Define your value list to take its values from this new field and place that field on the layout.

This is where I'm getting lost.  

• 5. Re: Field validated by a value list
                  MarcMcCall

I've tried every variation of what I interpreted you said, and I get close, i think.  I have a list that I can get to popup, but when I change the numbers in the global field, they do not update in the value list.

• 6. Re: Field validated by a value list
                    MarcMcCall

Got it working.