1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 2:43 PM by JCPython

Fields gone randomly inactive in portal

JCPython

Title

Fields gone randomly inactive in portal

After spending a few nights adding all my different value list into separate tables and creating a layout based on my "Settings" table which is related to every value list table by Settings::RecordID x ValueListName::RecordID

Then i added a tab control onto the layout based on the settings table with a portal on each tab and each tab list a different value list...worked great up until a few hours ago when randomly now when i click any field within a portal its not allowing entry to edit or anything. you can see from the attached image that when i click into any field it just highlights the portal row, nothing else happens. i cant for the life of me figure out why it just stopped working on me.

I tried triple checking everything, rebuilding the portals and relationships, closed FMP and restarted, used the recovery option in fmp, i attaempted to move the layout order of the object in the portal every whcih way. anyone expirience this? any suggestions?

Screenshot_1.png

• 1. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
          schamblee

It sounds like there is not a record in the child table.   Check your relationships is set to create new blank record in related table.  You might can manually create blank record in the child table and see if that fixes the problem.

• 2. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
            philmodjunk

Have you selected these fields and made them a button in button setup?

That will deny entry into the field when you try to click the field.

Check and see if you can ungroup the field while in layout mode.

• 3. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
              JCPython

It sounds like there is not a record in the child table.   Check your relationships is set to create new blank record in related table.  You might can manually create blank record in the child table and see if that fixes the problem.

The records do show up, they just are not editable, if i go to the child table they are all there.

Have you selected these fields and made them a button in button setup?

That will deny entry into the field when you try to click the field.

Check and see if you can ungroup the field while in layout mode.

The none of the fields have button value, all the portals worked at first then just stopped, if i go to one of my backups i see them still working and all but as soon as i copy and paste the work into my current copy of the database i get the same problem, this leads me to believe that its not a design issue i dont think. i even tried rebuilding the portal and fields from scratch and it displays but still no editing of fields, and all the fields have field entry in browse and find mode checked.

• 4. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                schamblee

Next question ?  From Inspector under Data Entry, is browse mode checked?  If not, put a check mark in the check box.

• 5. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                  JCPython

yes they are both checked for browse and find mode.

• 6. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                    philmodjunk

Can you tab into the field? (field must be in layout's tab order)

If so, something is intercepting your mouse click to prevent access into the field.

Any script triggers set?

Are there any text objects in your layout that you use conditional formatting to hide by setting them to font size = 500 and which are in line with the fields where you can't click into the field? (And which are currently not visible when you can't access the field.)

• 7. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                      JCPython

Can you tab into the field? (field must be in layout's tab order)

Nope. when i click tab it stays in the number 1 slot, number 2 slot being the icon container and 3rd slot being the text field next to the icon container

If so, something is intercepting your mouse click to prevent access into the field.

Any script triggers set?

None at all on this layout

Are there any text objects in your layout that you use conditional formatting to hide by setting them to font size = 500 and which are in line with the fields where you can't click into the field? (And which are currently not visible when you can't access the field.)

No conditional formatting like that on any of my layouts, and only some condidition formatting on this layout in the header menu buttons, but its just to highlight the text to show which layout user is currently on.

• 8. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                        philmodjunk

Click the tab control or press the tab key? I am suggesting that you press the tab key.

Don't know if this is the case, but layouts can become corrupted. This may explain why you can create a new layout that works until you copy and paste objects from the original layout to the new. The copy could by copying the "damage" along with the visible object that you are copying..

Have you tried a recover on the file?

• 9. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                          JCPython

sorry pressed the tab key is what i meant, the portals all work on  my backup files of the database, only when i drag object from the backup to the current database does it not work, and to just test i create a new layout right quick now and recreated the portal and fields by adding new object (Not copying the broken ones) and tested it, the records show but the same problem continues where i click and it just highlights the portal row

I used the portal tool to draw the portal, and selected the fields from the dialog menu, and fm placed everything on my newly created empty layout

• 10. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                            philmodjunk

Pressing tab won't work under any circumstances unless the fields are part of the layout's tab order. Are they?

Since it works in your back up copy, try recovering the file just to rule out possible issue due to file corruption.

• 11. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                              JCPython

I recovered the file last night and checked but the issue still occured, yes the fields are apart of the tab order, screenshot attached.

im thinking now its a relationship problem, as i can setup other related portals based on another table on a layout and works perfectly fine.

• 12. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                                philmodjunk

I've considered that and may be well worth double checking, but if you can see data in the field, then you should be able to enter and edit the field--which is not what is happening for you...

• 13. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                                  JCPython

I dodnt think i would know how to tell if the relationship is the problem, im looking at it now but all looks the same to me, there are so  many occurences its a mess to look at.

• 14. Re: Fields gone randomly inactive in portal
                                    JCPython

I thought maybe it could have been when i imported data from my "Update wizard" script i created but i just tested that theory on the backup where everything works and it still works so cant be that.

1 2 Previous Next