1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 11:48 AM by philmodjunk

Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values

bkolb

Title

Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values

I am supporting an order entry system in Filemaker 11 Pro.  It uses a few different tables that a re linked  in various ways.  One table, LORDER, I just added some fields to in order to fix a problem.    When a function that prints labels is used, a different table, LABELP, is used.   LABELP is linked to a table occurrence of LORDER via an account number.  When I look at the fields in this table occurrence, the new fields I created are there.  However, when I look at a record that had one of the field values changed, the new record for that in the table occurrence still shows the old value.  It's like the table occurrence didn't get updated. 

Not sure I am explaining this well, so ask if you don't understand.  My question is why does it have the "old" values?

• 1. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
          philmodjunk

I'm not sure from what you have posted that you understand the difference between a table occurrence and a data source table. Each table occurrence in Manage | Database | Relationships refers to a data source table on the Tables tab in Manage | database. Two such occurrences could refer to different data source tables or the same data source table.

And you can't see the data in a "table occurrence" you see data on a layout and each layout refers to a table occurrence and once again, two layouts can refer to the same table occurrence or different table occurrences.

So you'll need to describe what you have interms of your layouts, as well as the underlying table occurrences and data source tables before we can say much in detail about what you have and why it isn't working.

THe fields in question could refer to the wrong table occurrence or the table occurrence they reference could refer to the wrong data source table.

• 2. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
            schamblee

There could be several reason.  You haven't given much details about your database.  You may need a Commit Records/Requests[] after the changes are made to update the records.

• 3. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
              bkolb

Thank you PhilModJunk and S Chamblee for your responses.

It's very possible I don't understand table occurrences well at all.     I have a Filemaker database that among its tables has one called LORDER_ and one called Labelp_.     If I understand correctly,  Labelp_ "links" to LORDER_ via a table occurrence called LORDER_ 3.   I have provided an image to hopefully show you what I mean.  The top box is the LORDER_ table and the bottom two shows Labelp_ and how it is linked to LORDER_.     The problem I fixed had to do with data getting wiped out.  It's fairly convoluted and probably more info than is needed here.  I created new fields that were similar  to the ones that were getting blanked out and am now using them in the layout. 

While I concede it might be an issue of not having  done a Commit Records/Requests[] after a change was made, every place I've looked that I made changes to HAS one.   

• 4. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                philmodjunk

If I understand correctly,  Labelp_ "links" to LORDER_ via a table occurrence called LORDER_ 3

From your screen shot, this is not the case. LORDER_ is your table occurrence name, LORDER_ is the data source table name and LORDER_3 is an external data source reference. An external data Source reference is something that you can access and edit via Manage | External Data Sources. An External Datasource is the text stored in the file that tells it where to find the file containing that external data source. The presence of a number here suggests that your file was converted at one time form a FileMaker 6 or older file where we did not have direct access to this information.

and the bottom two shows Labelp_ and how it is linked to LORDER_.

unfortunately it does not as you have covered over the match field that is linking it to Labelp.

But keep in mind that you can't see the data here, you have to use a layout to do that, so the issue could lie with your layout design.

• 5. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                  bkolb

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying.  The LORDER_  shown in my initial image is a table occurrence of the table LORDER_  which is its own table.   I have included the match fields in the image I included on this post.   In addition, I have included the External Data Source info.  As I thought, LORDER_ 3 is pointing to (not sure that's the correct terminology) LORDER_, the one that is its own table. 

I realize I can't see actual data without using a layout.  I have debugged the scripts that run and the layout with the issue is using the table occurrence's values found in the new fields I created (I created them in the table LORDER_) aren't the values I see in the table's versions of those same fields.  That's what the problem is. 

• 6. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                    philmodjunk

But I can't see your layout.

On what layout do you see these "old values"? It sounds like you are looking at data from a record that is not the record you expect to see when you see this "old data".

• 7. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                      bkolb

Here's a screen shot of two separate layouts. 

• 8. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                        philmodjunk

Sorry, but these two layouts do not refer to the same data source table.

If they did, they would show the same number of total records, not one with 220,682 total records and the other with 7,169 total records.

• 9. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                          bkolb

Hmmmm ok....well, that would explain why I'm not seeing the data I expected. Now I have to figure out HOW to get it to point to a table occurrence or external data source that is the same so I do. 

• 10. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                            philmodjunk

You'll need to trace things through.

Start by entering layout mode and clicking this field on both layouts to see in the inspector's data tab, what TableOccurrence::fieldname serves as the data reference for this field object on that layout. Then compare the TableOccurrence name found there to the table occurrence name found in layout setup | Show Records from. If they are the same, great. If not, then you search out the relationship that links the layout's table occurrence to the field's table occurrence.

Then when you've found that, check the data source references carefully. Since you are referring to a table from another file, one table occurence could be referring to data from one copy of this other file and the other occurrence could be referring to a different copy of the file.

• 11. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                              bkolb

Ok...I apologize.  My last image I must have been on our development system when I took those screen shots.  Here are basically the same screen shots but on our production system.  

When I go into layout mode on both layouts (on in the Labelp_ table but using data from the EDS LORDER_ 3 and one in the LORDER_ table) , both say they are getting the data from the LORDER_::BNK_Attn field.   As you can see, they have different values.  I was expecting the value seen above the red line, but am getting what's below the red line.

• 12. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                                bkolb

And looking at layout setup | Show Records from, they both say LORDER_.

• 13. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                                  bkolb

Then when you've found that, check the data source references carefully. Since you are referring to a table from another file, one table occurence could be referring to data from one copy of this other file and the other occurrence could be referring to a different copy of the file.

So, maybe my Filemaker ineptitude is hindering me from understanding.  When I bring up Filemaker, I click on File -> Open Remote and click on our server name.  I then select a file found on that server and open it.  The LORDER_ table is opened when I click on a button to go to a specific layout.  The Labelp_ table is on the same server and as far as I understand, is in the same file as the LORDER_ table (when I click on the Window drop down, it is one of the tables listed in the Show Window list).  

Is the fact that the Lablep_  table uses an external data source to get data from LORDER_ mean that IT'S version of LORDER_ is really in a different table than the LORDER_  I've been looking at?

• 14. Re: Fields in table occurrence don't have latest values
                                    philmodjunk

It's possible. I can't tell for sure from what you have posted so far. I think that you are confusing "Table" with "File" in your last post as this statement makes no sense:

the Lablep_  table uses an external data source to get data from LORDER_

It's quite possible to have a file, a data source table, a table occurrence and a layout all with exactly the same name as this will be the default names for the original table created in a file. But though the names are identical these are all different objects with different roles in the design and function of your database.

It may hep to notice that when you look at table occurrences in Manage | Database | Relationships. Occurrences with an external data source are shown with the occurrence name in italics. Table occurrences that refer to data source tables defined in the same file will not be in italics.

1 2 Previous Next