8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 3:08 PM by philmodjunk

Fields that show specific information

crispylx

Title

Fields that show specific information

Hi,

If i had a layout with a world map picture on it. I'd like to display the name(s) of the people and their phone number on the map. so those who are in the London office only appear in the field/portal that i place over london. There would then be the same in New York, madrid, venice etc etc.

Effectively i just have one table with 4 fields, country, office location, name and phone number 

thanks for taking the time to read, any ideas anyone? 

• 1. Re: Fields that show specific information
          philmodjunk

You'll need a 2nd table with one field for each country. (You only need have one record in this table.) Then define relationships from each of these fields in this table to the same country field in the table you now have.

Put the appropriate country name in each field in your new table.

You can now create portals for each of these relationships and put them where you want them on your map layout.

• 2. Re: Fields that show specific information
            crispylx

I'm sorry, I'm missing a step somewhere.

I made a second table with 4 fields named London, Madrid, NY & Venice then dragged a relationship from each field to the City field of my original database. I then made a layout based from the second table and created portals to the original table.

but it doesn't show any information. What am i missing? 

• 3. Re: Fields that show specific information
              philmodjunk

What values did you put in your fields? The relationships will match the field contents not their names. So if you've left them empty, you don't have any matching records. You can put the city names in your fields manually or define them as calculations that return text.

example:

Define Your London field as a calculation: "London" (literal text enclosed in quotation marks) with "text" selected as the return type.

• 4. Re: Fields that show specific information
                crispylx

Here's an example of the data going in:

Spain, Madrid, Juan, 07989834076

Spain, Madrid, Julia, 02084638264

Italy, Venice, Sam, 02083647382

England, London, Crispy, 02074527364

USA, New York, Peggy, 5558394 

I think my problem lies within the relationship. Currently, all i have done is create the 2nd table with the 4 cities in and matched it to the city field in the above table. But even if i make it a calculation, it doesn't show any data in the portal.

Thank you for bearing with me 

• 5. Re: Fields that show specific information
                  philmodjunk

What data do you have in your second table?

You need a single record with fields that contain your city names.

If you select the layout that FMP created when you defined this new table and selecte "table view", what do you see?

• 6. Re: Fields that show specific information
                    crispylx

I see 4 fields labeled London, Madrid, New York & Venice.

Then there is one record in that table that has a repeat of the field name so in table view, underneath the London field heading is "London", underneath Madrid is "Madrid" etc etc 

• 7. Re: Fields that show specific information
                      raybaudi

crispylx wrote:

... so those who are in the London office only appear in the field/portal that i place over london.

How can you place a portal ( or even a single field ) over a city of a whole world map picture ?

I would use tool tips instead.

• 8. Re: Fields that show specific information
                        philmodjunk

To Raybaudi: When I was Editor In Chief of Inside Filemaker Pro many years ago. I once asked people to send in samples of creative Filemaker Pro layouts. Even back in those days with a much less capable version, the submissions were truly amazing. Thus, I don't assume that using a World Map as the background isn't workable :smileywink:

To crispylx:

I think I see your problem. When you created your relationships linking your new 1 record table, did you do something like this....

1. Let's call your original table "Main" and your new table "Cities".
                        2. Using your mouse, create a relationship linking Cities.London to Main.City by dragging from one field to the other.
                        3. Select the Main Table.
                        4. Click the button at the bottom that looks like two over lapping "+" signs.
                        5. You now have a new table reference for Main labeled Main 2. It looks like you've created a new table, but it's just a different reference to your Main table so that you can define a different relationship between Cities and Main.
                        6. Now drag from Cities.Madrid to Main 2.City to create a relationship between these two "Table references.
                        7. Repeat for each city field in "Cities".
                        8. Return to your Map layout which should have Cities as it's underlying reference table.
                        9. Define a portal for Main, Main 2, Main 3.... Main should now list all your London records, Main 2 will list your Madrid records and so on....

I realize that this can be confusing for the new user. I was picturing it backwards myself until I set up a little test file to make sure my directions were accurate.