13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 3:12 PM by davidanders

Fields with same name fill with same data

FergusThain

Title

Fields with same name fill with same data

New to FM.

I have set up fields for contact info. In one entry I will have emails fields for various different contacts. Problem is if I fill one field with an email address all the other email fields fill with the same address.

How do i stop this?

• 1. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
          philmodjunk

Don't use multiple copies of the same field on your layout. The simple fix is to open Manage | Database | Fields and add some more fields to your table that you can then add to your layout. The better fix that requires a more complete knowledge of how to design a FileMaker Database would be to set up a related table and use a portal for recording multiple email addresses for the same contact.

• 2. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
            FergusThain

Its not multiple email addresses for one contact. I have one contact with Tabs created for contacts associated with this individual eg, their lawyer, next of kin, relatives etc.

Do I have to create fields sich as email 1, email 2, email 3?

• 3. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
              philmodjunk

It's the same issue. You have all of this data in the same record and you are using copies of the same field on different tabs of the tab control.

Adding more fields is the simple fix, but might not be the best solution. A related table of email addresses might be the better option but it's hard to tell from here if that is the case or not.

• 4. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                FergusThain

Basically I have a primary contact and I want to add contact details for their solicitor, their close relatives, their IFA, and a few other related contacts. I have set up the primary contact in the database then tabs for personal contacts - relatives, financial contacts, legal contacts etc.

• 5. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                  philmodjunk

How I do this and how you do this may be different. I work from the context of using FileMaker for over 10 years and being college educated in computer programming prior to that. What I am about to describe thus may not be something that you can implement until you learn more about FileMaker.

You can set up a table of contacts. Each Solicitor, close relative, IFA, and other related contact would have their own record in this table.

Then a self join relationship (or perhaps more than one) would make it possible to take the contact record for "John Smith" and link it to the contact record for their "Solicitor, close relatives, IFA, and other related contacts"

There are a number of ways to set up a layout for working with these records but the underlying relationships would use two tables and an added table occurrence (at the minimum):

Contacts-----<Contact_List>------Contacts|Listed

Contacts::__pkContactID = Contact_List::_fkContactID
                       Contacts|Listed::__pkContactID = Contact_List::_fkListedContact

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Contacts|Listed would be a second Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of Contacts and a field in Contact_List would identify the type of contact (Solicitor, IFA, etc)

• 6. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                    FergusThain

Wow!

All I wanted to do is have more than one set of contact data in one record. It would appear you need 10 years of experience in filemaker and a computer related degree to actually create this! Very pleased I am on a 30 day trial!

I am not computer literate (or illiterate) but I would have thought this would be a pretty standard process for a database?

• 7. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                      RickWhitelaw

Phil isn't saying you need 10 years of experience. He's explaining his context.

You could simply add three fields to your main table. Email (the person's email), Solicitor email, close relative email etc. What you appear to be trying to do is use the same field and hoping the context of a different tab (or whatever) will make it contain different data. One field, and all placements of the same field, will always contain the same data regardless of how many "copies" there are.

• 8. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                        philmodjunk

I did not say that you needed 10 years experience and a degree. I just indicated that what I was about to suggest might not be something that you can do from your current skill level. I also mentioned using multiple fields--this is much less flexible but easier for the "newbie" to implement.

And you are welcome to ask follow up questions if you need to. Many people who have never touched a database design tool before in their lives have become quite proficient at it through the help of this forum and by using some of the many training resources available.

• 9. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                          FergusThain

I understand the context - I researched this before 'picking', all the marketing info for filemaker suggested it was easy and straightforward to create a database. I am not having that kind of experience.

If I have to add an new field for each 'sub-contact's; email, postal addresses and phone number etc, there would be 100's of fields.

I also appreciate that you don't need 10 yrs exp. But right now, it feels like its the only way!

Perhaps the marketing info has not managed my expectations well!

• 10. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                            RickWhitelaw

This is not what I said. Assume for the moment that each record in your main table represents a person (I'm assuming this) and that you want to record the person's Solicitor email, a relative's email and the Contact's's email. This is a simple example. You would create three fields in your main table as described. Then each entry of Solicitor email etc on each record is part of the main record for that person. so you don't need a separate field for each and every Solicitor. There are better ways of doing this but this will get you going. As an example, if you have 100 records of Contacts, and each Contact has an address, you would need 1 address field. Not 100.

Hope this is on the right track and helps,

Rick.

EDIT: I understand your frustration. I too began using FMP in 2006 and had little or no knowledge of relational databases. It's not a "works right out of the box" piece of software. However, the Starter Solutions are excellent and a person can learn a lot from studying them. And yes, there's no doubt a lot of study required. 

• 11. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                              FergusThain

I think I get it.

Not sure if I am capable, or patient enough to actually create it. Am still trying and getting no where!

• 12. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                                RickWhitelaw

Tables "contain" records. Think about what a record is, or read about it. It's all there for the reading. Read a getting started guide or the online help. It really doesn't take much work to get the basics happening.

• 13. Re: Fields with same name fill with same data
                                  davidanders

There are webpages with basic info about Filemaker and Relational Databases.

The first 5 links in this list should be read by anyone starting out with Filemaker.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931