8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 12:18 PM by HaliRoy

Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel

HaliRoy

Title

Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel

I'm using FileMaker Pro 12 on my desktop and FileMaker Go on my iPad mini and iPhone.  I have several fields in my database that fill-in when a specific value is made in a preceding field.  For example; if I choose "Stage Datum Only" for a certain field, then the values for the following fields  "Total discharge", "% Uncertainty", "V Mean", etc are automatically filled in with "N/A."  I have several cases in my database where there are script triggers that are used to fill in fields.  However, the fields that have script triggers are not transferred to Excel when I export them.  When I look at the "Select fields" option on the iPad those fields don't even show up so that I can select them.  How can I export all data, in portals and using script triggers, to Excel easily?

• 1. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
          philmodjunk

The script triggers should not affect how the data in the field updates. I'd check the data type definitions for your fields and see if they might be defined as number but you are entering text into them. If so, that may explain why they are not exporting as you expected.

• 2. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
            HaliRoy

I went back and double-checked.  One set of data that isn't transferring is defined as a number field - but 50% of the time it will be numbers, when either of 2 values from the drop down field are chosen I have scripts that set them to "N/A" so I can see how that would be a problem.  

However, that doesn't explain why I would be having problems with the other fields.

1) I have a drop down menu that is defined as "text" and it doesn't have any script triggers that is not exporting.

2) I have a few sets of radio button sets that are defined as text and do have scripts that are not exporting.

3) I also have a portal and each field is defined appropriately and has scripts.  When certain values (2 out of 8 of the values) are selected in a preceding drop down list I have a script that blanks (using "") the following fields.  Is that the problem?

• 3. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
              philmodjunk

1) I have a drop down menu that is defined as "text" and it doesn't have any script triggers that is not exporting.

This would suggest that script triggers aren't the issue here. Time for a closer look at what exactly you are doing to see where it is going wrong and why.

There's more than one way to export to an excel file. Exactly how are you exporting this data? What are the precise steps that you are taking? Are you doing it manually or are you using a script.

My best guess is that the list of fields specified for your export is omitting some fields that you need, but that's just a guess at this point.

I also have a portal and each field is defined appropriately and has scripts.  When certain values (2 out of 8 of the values) are selected in a preceding drop down list I have a script that blanks (using "") the following fields.  Is that the problem?

Probably not, but I can't quite picture what that script does (What "following fields"?)  and we need to carefully examine how you are exporting your data to be sure.

• 4. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
                HaliRoy

I'm exporting the file from the iPad mini by selecting the settings icon in filemaker go to get to the menu, selecting "export", selecting excel as the "type" and e-mailing it. 

On the desktop File > Export> save as excel > select "continue" under excel options> and then I move all the fields over.   However, all of the fields are not on the list (pictures attached - what fields are exporting vs 2 lists of fields that I need).

The fields from the portal (datum name, event code id, gage reading1, gage reading 2, staff gage id, time 1, time 2, tutd1, tutd2, units) are now exporting, but another set of fields are no longer exporting.

• 5. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
                  HaliRoy
                  /files/52148b1fa7/All_Fields2.PNG 578x292
                  • 6. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
                    HaliRoy

These are the only ones from the previous list that will export at the moment 

• 7. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
                      philmodjunk

I had to use my iPhone to check some details here.

In both cases, you are using Save as--> excel. This option works from the fields present on your current layout. In FileMaker Pro, note that the drop down list is labeled: "Current layout". In Pro, you can select the current table from this drop down in order to select fields not on the current layout. But in FM GO, you do not have that option. In order to include a field in the export, it needs to be on the layout that you have up when you select this option by tapping the settings icon. Thus, you may need to add a layout with just the fields that you want for this export to your file to use when exporting from your iPad.

• 8. Re: Fields with script triggers do not export to Excel
                        HaliRoy

Ok, awesome!  thanks