3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 7:38 AM by dsimonson

Figuring out portals in an anesthesia record

dsimonson

Title

Figuring out portals in an anesthesia record

I am still working on my anesthesia record.  

In order to provide a display on the iPad that looks and functions somewhat like a “real” anesthesia record, the user needs to be able to enter data on a medication they have just administered to the patient, and have that data displayed on the record in a horizontally sequential fashion across the record.  For example, if at the start of the anesthetic (15:00) I administer 10 mls of propofol, and then 30 minutes later the patient gets “light” and I give 5 more of propofol, a real record shows it like this:

Drug    

15:00

15:15

15:30

15:45

16:00

Propofol

Fentanyl

In addition to the main table, Surgeries, which contains the anesthesia start time, I have created child tables for different time settings - one with 20 records, one for each 15 minutes of the anesthetic (so the records can cover a 5-hour surgery), and one with 60 records, for the 5-minute intervals.  

When the data is entered, the user only enters one time into the med_observation record, which is then pushed into two other fields as the nearest 5 and 15 minute intervals.  

I am attaching a screenshot of my layout in layout mode.

With that explanation, here is what I am trying to do.  On the left side, I need a portal that shows me one drug on each line, and they need to be in a specific order, with things like O2 and N2O first, followed by inhalational agents, etc.  Then, I need the amounts they have given to be distributed by their times across the horizontal spread.  I am working on the 15 minute times at present, I want to figure them out before I move to the 5 minute ones.  I plan to have a summary field that will show the total amount administered in any 15 minute period.

I have not had any luck, but I am continuing to work on it!

Thanks!

Dan

--

Dan Simonson, CRNA, MHPA

2607 S. Manito Blvd.

Spokane, WA 99203

<dsimonson@mac.com>

H. (509) 747-0819

C. (509) 981-6274 

2014-11-14_10-31-14.jpg

• 1. Re: Figuring out portals in an anesthesia record
          mrb13676

Hi Dan.

What I did was create a table with time, drugs, doses, and dose units, BP, HR, Sats, ETCO2, MAC, Temp etc. Additionally there is an ID field.

I then have a portal which allows me to create records in this table from my IntraOp module on my iPad. Every time I give a drug I create a record in this table via the portal. It works quite well but falls down when it comes to infusion doses etc. Suppose one could add a field for Infusion_1, Infusion_2 and state the admin rate at each observation. The portal starts to get a bit wide at this point. 

It occurs to me that you could split the tables - have one for jobs and one for drugs?

Interestingly, the form I use for capturing data as I work is completely different from my final record document - which is a text heavy one which is not user-friendly for touch input. 

• 2. Re: Figuring out portals in an anesthesia record
            dsimonson

Hi Michael!  I would love to share more with you - if you are interested, please email me at dsimonson@mac.com.

I am sort of working backwards.  I made the anesthesia record that looks like what I want (see screen shot), and now I am figuring out how to get my "observations" to show up on it properly.

The record, I realized, is really a summary report of the observations - it summarizes them at 5 or 15 minute intervals, depending.  BP and so on at 5 minutes; medications administered, blood loss, agents, fluids, rhythm, SaO2, etc. at 15 minutes.  So the user can put in as many observations as they wish, but the record will only show the 5-minute and 15 minute summaries.  

Converting the individual observations into the summary fields will require some heavy scripting (gather the pertinent observations, put the data into variables, write the variables to the summary record fields, etc.) , and I am working on that now.  

Fun stuff!

Dan
            --
            Dan Simonson, CRNA, MHPA
            2607 S. Manito Blvd.
            Spokane, WA 99203

<dsimonson@mac.com>
            H. (509) 747-0819
            C. (509) 981-6274 

• 3. Re: Figuring out portals in an anesthesia record
              dsimonson

Here is another screen shot showing how the record will look when printed (or pdf'd).