4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 3:50 PM by philmodjunk

File Import Errors

JimMac

Title

File Import Errors

I have an external file (1 of 7) that was importing records from an active (older version of a database) using FMP 11.  The file has 3 tables.  Two of the 3 tables were successfully imported without errors.  However table number 3 had 1063 records and showed on the import report dialog that 131 records were skipped do to errors.

There is no log, mention of which records were skipped, or what the error(s) were.

I have used "Recover..." and recovered the file with no errors, but a strange report warning I should only use the most recent back up of files.

I tried importing the flawed table on the "Recovered" file with the exact same 131 records skipped.

Any thoughts on how to find the errors or know why the records were deleted?

Jim...

• 1. Re: File Import Errors
          JimMac

@Phil  Before you boot me, I found this previous post of mine which you answered.  Although I am working on a different database, I suspect your answer of last  year may be the problem.  I am looking now.

FMP Import Records has Field Errors

Jim...

PS:  Good example of not searching the forum first...

• 2. Re: File Import Errors
            philmodjunk

It's possible that such records where skipped because a validation rule specified in field options excluded them.

I just had a .fp7 file give me this result this morning, but I already knew the file was damaged (I was trying to pull the most recent data from that file to the previous night's back up) and a recover of the file fixed the issue for me.

You might, at least as a test, try exporting to a text file and then importing from the text file to see if this makes any difference. (And compare the number of records exported to the number imported in case issues keep some records from exporting to the text file.)

• 3. Re: File Import Errors
              JimMac

It was a Validation set as "Always" in new programing on old data import.  Lesson learned is to set Validation to "On data entry" when converting or updating database records, then return to "Always" after a transfer of old data, if needed.

@Phil  your tip of export as text and importing again has been noted.

Jim...

• 4. Re: File Import Errors
                philmodjunk

Hey, no problem and good to here from you again!